Though 9 in 10 Latino young adults say a college degree is important for success in life, fewer than 15% age 25 or older hold a bachelor’s degree. Voices College-Bound Language Academies exists to change that.
Voices is a public charter school network with a mission to prepare all students for the challenges of higher education through the context of an academically rigorous dual-language program. Every student, regardless of home language, graduates bilingual and biliterate in English and Spanish. As we expand to serve more traditionally underserved students, Voices seeks additional team members who share a commitment to its mission and believe joyful learning and world-class academic preparation are not mutually exclusive.
Voices Academies’ Special Populations Specialist will be an inspiring leader with an entrepreneurial spirit. Reporting to the Director of Special Populations (DSP), the Special Populations Specialist will oversee the facilitation of Individualized Education Plan (IEP) meetings, observation/feedback of school-site Education Specialists and school system audits. The ideal candidate will not only be innovative and have an unwavering commitment to developing Education Specialists knowledge about compliance and Special Education and executing Voices’ mission for special populations. This role will serve as a coach for 6-7 Education Specialists.
- Support DSP with training for Education Specialists
- Support DSP with observation/coaching for Education Specialists
- Model IEP facilitation for Education Specialists
- Codify approaches via School Leader Special Populations playbook
- Codify approaches via Education Specialist Special Populations playbook
- Approve invoices for Special Education
- Support DSP with audit of special education files, schedules and environment
- Support with SEIS system files and actions
- Support Education Specialists as a credentialed admin for IEP meetings at school sites
English Learning Program:
- Co-lead Systematic ELD trainings with new teachers
- Observe and provide feedback on Systematic ELD implementation
- Prepare and co-lead ELD virtual data meetings
Other Special populations:
- Perform other duties as assigned with relation to 506,homeless, and students
Voices Academies Special Populations Specialist candidates will have the following
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Valid California Education Specialist Credential (Mild to Moderate)
- Demonstrated passion for the mission, vision and values of Voices Academies with a deep commitment to improving the lives of students from low-income communities
- Minimum 2 years experience in Special Education.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English and Spanish.
- Outstanding written, speaking, and organizational skills with experience interacting with a broad range of stakeholders.
- Commitment to accelerated educational progress of children.
- Experience or commitment to public education, social justice, efficacy and equity.
- Deep knowledge of English Language Development
- Trained in SIOP or Systematic ELD
- At least 1 year experience coaching others or leading training/professional development.
- Understanding of dual language instructional practices and school design and the unique characteristics of public charter schools is a plus.
- High proficiency in Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, Word, and Google Apps
- Ability to work well independently and within a team environment; working efficiently, and exercising excellent judgment in making decisions.
- Regular requirement to stand, sit, walk, talk, hear, see, read, speak, reach, stretch with hands and arms, stoop, kneel and crouch
- Tolerate high levels of stress
- Lift and carry objects weighing up to 50 lbs.
- Occasional evening and or weekend work
- Occasional travel
- Willingness to be trained as needed
Prior to Employment: Once an offer has been extended, a candidate must meet the following criteria to receive a final contract:
- First Aid/CPR Certification
- Clear Criminal Background Check
- Valid TB Clearance
- Annual Salary Range of $65,000-$80,000
- Medical benefits
- Exceptional growth opportunities
- Retirement plan
- Reports directly to Director of Special Populations
- Permanent Salaried, Exempt Position
- At-Will Contract
If you have any questions about this position, please contact our hiring team by email at [email protected]. Thank you.
Voices College-Bound Language Academies is an equal opportunity employer. It is the policy of Voices to afford equal employment and advancement opportunities to all qualified individuals without regard to race, creed, color, religion, national origin, ethnicity, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, age, physical or mental disability, marital status, citizenship status, medical condition, or any other legally protected status.