City Year is looking to hire inspirational leaders who are passionate about supporting some of our youngest students. The right candidate is ready to facilitate small-group learning with first and second grade students in our East Harlem 21st Century Learning Center Community School.
Responsibilities are as follows:
- Manage a group of 10 to 20 first and second grade students in the after school space, two days per week (Monday and Tuesday), three hours per day from 2:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- Facilitate academic enrichment and homework help activities focused on building foundational skills in English Language Arts, Math, and Science
- Lead and facilitate hallway transitions
- Manage student arrival and dismissal policies
- Ensure safety standards and policies are implemented with fidelity
- Hold students to a clear behavior management system, giving positive incentives to reward good behavior and issuing consequences as appropriate
- Communicate student behavior issues and health concerns immediately with City Year staff (Team Leader, Impact Manager, and/or Community School Director)
- Accept and apply feedback from observations and coaching sessions
- Attend orientation day, required trainings, and monthly team meetings with Community School Director
- High school diploma or equivalent required
- Experience with classroom management required
- Experience working with first and second grade students strongly preferred
- Multilingual skills (particularly Spanish fluency) strongly preferred
- AmeriCorps alums are strongly encouraged to apply
Compensation and Benefits
Full time employees are entitled to compensation commensurate with experience. Benefits for full time employees include health insurance with Flexible Spending Account, paid vacation, holidays, parental leave, 401K, and more.
City Year is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to a diverse workforce. Individuals from all backgrounds are encouraged to apply, including persons with disabilities and veterans.