Position at IDEA Public Schools
About IDEA Public Schools :
At IDEA Public Schools, we believe in college for ALL and we are committed to ensuring that all our students graduate from college. IDEA Public Schools has grown from a small school to the fastest-growing network of tuition-free Pre-K-12 public charter schools in the United States sending 100% of our students to college. 50% of our students graduate from college in 6 years - that's 3 times the national rate for students in our communities!
IDEA was founded in 2000 as a single school with 150 students in the Rio Grande Valley. When interest exceeded building capacity, to meet the demands, IDEA's co-founders committed to serving more students in the Rio Grande Valley of Texas and beyond. We now serve over 65,000 students across Texas and Louisiana. Be on the lookout for IDEA schools opening near you-with continued growth in our current regions an d new launches in Tampa Bay , FL (2021) , and Jacksonville, FL (2022) !
When you choose to work at IDEA, you are part of our IDEA Team and Family. You will work alongside team members who set and reach ambitious goals every day, are excited to continue to grow with IDEA, and work relentlessly to make college for all a reality.
To learn more about IDEA, check out this video
. About the Rio Grande Valley:
Since 2000, IDEA Public Schools has grown from a school of 150 students in Donna, TX, to the fastest- growing family of tuition-free, public charter schools in the United States. In the Rio Grande Valley, we are a nucleus of four counties (Cameron, Hidalgo, Starr and Willacy Counties) that work as one unit to support our children academically and holistically.
RGV is home to a population of just over 1.3 million residents. Children across the region truly benefit from IDEA's mission of college for all, as only 1 out of 17 students currently graduate college ready. Our mission holds true as we have over 5,000 IDEA alumni that currently attend, or have graduated from, 300 colleges and universities across the country.
Join our passionate team of changemakers in south Texas as we prepare to expand our home region to 55 schools, serving over 38,000 students in 2022. Role Mission:
The Food Service Specialist Substitute is available, as needed, to substitute for campus Food Service Specialists (FSS) in case they are absent or fail to show up for their scheduled shift. The Food Service Specialist Substitute ensures that appropriate quantities of food are prepared, portioned, and served to IDEA students. Other responsibilities include, but are not limited to: cutting/chopping fruits & vegetables, following recipes, adhering to established kitchen processes, monitoring of students during meal periods ( i.e monitoring for appropriate behavior, encouraging students to consume more fresh fruits & vegetables, no sharing of food, etc.) and kitchen cleaning duties (sweeping, mopping, wiping tables, washing dishes, disposing of trash). What You'll Do - Accountabilities : Meet campus fund balance by June 30.
Maintain an 85% (or higher) employee retention rate for the cafeteria team by June 30.
- Encourage students to participate in our meal program, especially when they are seen not eating
- Limit waste due to day's production of food or spoilage
- Check expiration dates of product and use First In, First Out method for best rotation practice
- Monitor product freshness upon delivery; report issues to Cafeteria Manager or Cafeteria Asst. Manager
- Participate in weekly employee huddles by active listening on topics presented by the managers
- Understand the importance of showing up for their scheduled shifts. When not able, calls the managers with ample time as to try to find a FSS substitute.
- Ensure team is acting with utmost respect to one another, report any potential issues to Cafeteria Manager or Cafeteria Asst. Manager
Ensure 80% breakfast, 85% lunch and 20% supper (40% in SoLa ) cumulative student participation by LDOS.
- Report any safety hazards quickly to the managers so they can be addressed for repair or reported to the Facility Manager
- Address and help resolve employee conflict quickly
- Ask questions or requests additional training as needed to continue own growth and development
- Ensure meals are ready as per campus meal schedules for breakfast, lunch, snack and supper
- Follow all recipes and report errors to Cafeteria Manager or Cafeteria Asst. Manager.
- Ensure that all participating students take a reimbursable meal
- Encourage students to make their meal choice selection quickly as to meet the goal for all students to only stand in line for 10 minutes, allowing them 20 minutes to sit and enjoy their meal
- Quickly clean tables between meal periods and sweeps the dining area as needed, especially during lunch
Reach the HKH Smarter Lunchrooms Gold Standard by the last operational day in October and maintain throughout LDOS.
- Maintain high standards of cleanliness and sanitization as per state guidelines in preparation for at least 2 inspections by the city or county health department
- Record and provide notes to the managers, daily, on how much food (cases, lbs., etc.) was pulled from the refrigerator or storage. These notes are then transferred to an official food production record
- Perform a Breakfast in the Class (BIC) audit for how the teachers are distributing breakfast and how they are marking the rosters for said breakfast
Prepare the team for zero findings in external and internal follow up audit(s) with 100% of food production records completed by LDOS.
- Complete Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point (HACCP) logs as to document the temperature of food and equipment to meet state and local code
- As needed, function as cashier at the point of sale; must identify a state reimbursable meal 100% of the time and handle cash/check transactions from parents as payment for their child's meal balance
- Rotate milk product to ensure quality & freshness on daily basis
We look for Team and Family who embody the followingvaluesand characteristics:
- Ensure low quality food (burnt, dry) is not served to students; report issues to the Cafeteria Manager or Cafeteria Asst. Manager
- Ensure correct portion/serving size during production and service to our students
- Keep the cafeteria & kitchen clean and presentable
- Report any pests/ rodents issues immediately to Cafeteria Manager or Cafeteria Asst. Manager
- Believes and is committed to our missionand being an agent of change: that all students are capable of getting to and through college
- Has demonstrated effectiveoutcomes and results, and wants to be held accountable for them
- Has a propensity for action, willing to make mistakes by doing in order to learn and improvequickly
What You Bring -- Competencies:
- Works with urgency and purpose to drive student outcomes
- Thrives in an entrepreneurial, high-growth environment; is comfortable with ambiguity and change
- Seeks and responds well to feedback, which is shared often and freely across all levels of the organization
- Works through silos and forges strong cross-departmental relationshipsin order toachieve outcomes
- We believe in education asa professionand hold ourselves to high level of conduct, professionalism and behaviors as models for our colleagues and students
- Mission Focus- focuses on IDEA's core purpose of getting all students into college.
- Record of Results - holds high expectations for self and others to achieve and surpass intended goals.
- Problem Solving - able to synthesize, analyze, and prioritize data and opportunities to develop strategies for achieving quantifiable goals.
- Communication - effectively conveys information using a variety of channels and techniques.
- Continuous Improvement - proactively identifies opportunities to improve and consistently reflects on past actions to guide future decisions.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Education : High School Diploma or Equivalent Preferred
- Experience : Food Service, Restaurant or Hospitality Preferred
- License or Certification : Local Food Safety Permit
- Ability to understand food recipes and gather materials and product needed for execution of menu items.
- Basic understanding of food safety and sanitation practices in food production.
- Working knowledge of kitchen production procedures that includes set up, food production, service, clean up and resetting
- Ability to operate kitchen equipment, tools, and utensils.
- Ability to perform basic math skill .
- Works well under pressure in a team setting.
- Ability to lift, bend, pull, push, twist.
What We Offer Compensation:
- Works well around children and has basic skills to provide customer service.
- Compensation for this role is set at an hourly rate ranging between $11.50 for 0 years of experienceand $13.25.
We offer a comprehensive benefits plan, covering the majority of the employee premium for the base medical plan and subsidizing the majority of costs for a spouse/domestic partner and children. Other benefits include dental and vision plans, disability, life insurance, parenting benefits, flexible spending account options, generous vacation time, com-muter benefits, referral bonuses, professional development, and a 403(b) plan. We also offer an inclusive environment where staff are encouraged to bring their whole selves to work every day. IDEA may offer a relocation stipend to defray the cost of moving for this role, if applicable. To Apply :
Please submit your application online through Jobvite . It's in your best interest to apply as soon as possible. It is recommended that you include a cover letter in your application addressing why you are interested in IDEA and how your experience has prepared you for this position.
IDEA Public Schools does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, sex or disability, in admission or access to, or treatment of employment in its programs and activities. Any person having inquiries concerning the organization's compliance with the regulations implementing Title VI of Civil Rights Act of 1964 (Title VI), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (Section 504), or Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA), may contact IDEA Human Resources at (956) 377-8000.