At Rocketship Public Schools, we believe in the infinite possibility of human potential.
We believe that every student deserves the right to dream, to discover, and to develop their unique potential. And it is our responsibility and our privilege to unleash the potential inside every Rocketeer we serve. Our non-profit network of public elementary charter schools propels student achievement, develops exceptional educators, and partners with parents who enable high-quality public schools to thrive in their community. We are a collective of parents, teachers, leaders, and students working together to transform the future for underserved communities across our country. At Rocketship Public Schools, we are unleashing potential.
The Network Support Team (NeST) Human Resources Business Partner (HRBP) is part of a key team that drives mission-critical, collaborative partnerships with NeST managers while ensuring fair and ethical practices for all 150+ NeST employees. Reporting to the Director, Employee Relations, the NeST HRBP will be the primary point of contact with NeST managers and will help drive HR strategy around compliance, benefits, compensation, and internal communication for NeST employees with the goal of improving the everyday experience of all Rocketship employees.
- Employee Relations & Culture
- Conduct effective, thorough and objective employee misconduct investigations and determine necessary level of progressive discipline.
- Keep a pulse on all employees to ensure we are delivering excellence in the employee experience
- Manage NeST culture events with support on execution from the Talent Operations Team. Events include monthly All Staffs (Rocketeer Roundup) Holiday Parties, Retreats, Staff Appreciation, etc.
- Mediate entrenched conflicts to allow relationships to improve and work to move forward
- Manage and resolve complex employee relations issues.
- Conduct exit interviews for all departing NeST employees and summarize anonymized key takeaways with managers
- Act as primary resource for NeST staff on all internal policies and direct them to appropriate resources
Manager Support & Development
- Provide training and support for NeST managers with performance management process
- Coach managers on performance management and support employees with professional development with the goal of career advancement within organization
- Identify managerial skill development needs and deliver individual and small-group trainings to enhance managerial competence and understanding of organizational policies and procedures
- Build strong relationships within the HR team and cross-functionally across NeST departments in order to communicate and align HR strategy to meet business needs
- Strategic and respected point of contact for staff and leaders on all HR issues including staff culture, leaves, disciplinary action, benefits, compensation, compliance, and employee development
- Commit to a problem-solving orientation with managers (build bridges, not barriers).
- Coach managers to a more productive engagement with disagreement.
- Partner with NeST managers to ensure fair and equitable treatment in pay, performance management, benefits, etc. for all employees
- Lead monthly meetings with NeST managers discussing variety of talent-related topics
- Ensure managerial compliance and understanding of all applicable regional labor laws and internal policies, procedures, and practices
- Provide advice and counsel to managers regarding employee practices, policies and employment laws
Hiring & Onboarding Support
- Support, manage and monitor the hiring, promotion, transfer and termination processes under the guidance of the Director of Employee Relations
- Review, approve, and manage organization of job descriptions, including FLSA classification compliance
- Support NeST hiring managers with hiring best practices (DEI, interview questions bank, selection tips, etc.)
- Support new employee onboarding process
Talent Operations Support
- Partner with Director of Talent Operations & Policy on compensation strategy for NeST
- Manage NeST compensation benchmarking strategy and execution
- Execute and advise on NeST employment offers, role changes, and other employment changes
- Recommend process/customer service improvements, innovative solutions, and/or policy changes to enhance talent service delivery and effectiveness
- Maintain confidentiality of information. Take steps to ensure documents, files and information are kept secure and employee-related information is not shared outside of a "business need" context
- Produce timely and accurate reporting, including staff census data, hiring pipelines, and other metrics/analytical reports as assigned
- Participate in developing annual department goals/objectives, and assist in evaluation of reports, decisions, and results of department in relation to established goals
- Leverage all systems, tools, and resources to support completion of talent projects
- Initiate, manage, or participate in special projects in support of organizational initiatives, including all talent-related events
- Assist in training new users on talent programs and systemsHelp establish and maintain talent metrics
- Perform some data entry and employee file maintenance, as needed
- Other talent duties as assigned
- Bachelor's Degree
- 1+ years HR experience required (HR certification preferred)
- Deep commitment to Rocketship's mission to eliminate the achievement gap in our lifetime
- Deep commitment to enhancing workplace culture and values
- Possess the core characteristics required of every Rocketeer: community, tenacity, authenticity, innovation, and pursuit of excellence
- Creative thinker who enjoys thinking outside of the box to solve complex problems
- Ability to build trust, relationships, and credibility quickly with people in various roles at all levels of the organization
- Ability to independently and effectively manage time in an environment with multiple work-streams, competing priorities, and a geographically dispersed team
- Team player with extraordinary communications skills, high tolerance for ambiguity, and comfort in a rapidly changing environment
- Strong analytical skills and ability to translate metrics, research, and trends into strategy
- Knowledge of pertinent federal and state regulations, filing and compliance requirements, including COBRA, FMLA, ADA, OSHA, EEO
- Proficient in the use of business software (Excel, PowerPoint, etc.) and HRIS reporting tools
- This role can be primarily based out of our San Jose, CA or Redwood City, CA offices. At least one day per week will be spent in Redwood City. The role requires your own independent transportation to and around the Bay Area.
- Travel to our out of state locations (TN, WI, DC) may be required
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions. While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to talk, hear, and communicate with both adults and children. The employee frequently is required to use hands or fingers, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit; and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally climb ladders. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust focus. The noise level in the work environment is moderate to high. Compensation:
Commensurate with qualifications and experience, plus excellent health and welfare benefits, 403b retirement plan, flexible spending account (FSA), and generous paid time off.
Rocketship Public Schools provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. Rocketship Public Schools complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Rocketship Public Schools expressly prohibits any form of unlawful employee harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Rocketship Public Schools' employees to perform their expected job duties is absolutely not tolerated. Click here for our Sexual Harassment Policy
and here for our Title IX Policy
. For questions, concerns, or complaints, please contact Equity/Discrimination Title IX Compliance Officer, Email: [email protected]
Address: 350 Twin Dolphin Drive, Suite 109, Redwood City, CA 94065. Phone: 877-806-0920 ext. 115.