MPTC certification is required for this position
Enforces laws, rules, and regulations and maintains order at and in the vicinity of Baltimore City Public School System buildings and grounds. Participate as instructed in specialized unit activities such as crime prevention, investigations, re-certification instruction, or special events.
- Patrols designated areas by vehicle and foot to identify and report safety and security hazards, to detect violations of law, and maintain a visible presence to deter crime.
- Responds to calls for assistance and emergency service; evaluates situation and determines appropriate course of action.
- Conducts preliminary and follow-up investigations of complaints and incidents by interviewing and obtaining statements. Collects, preserves, and processes evidence.
- Conducts surveillance. Performs searches and detains suspicious persons and vehicles. Arrests, searches, restrains, transports, guards and processes violators.
- Interacts and establishes rapport with school personnel, students, parents and the public.
- Operates a variety of communication equipment to obtain, report, and verify information. Prepares and completes a variety of detailed reports and forms to support investigations.
- Prepares cases; appears and testifies in court.
- Inspects and maintains assigned equipment including firearms and clothing. Operates and utilizes a variety of law enforcement equipment such as firearms, self-defense tools, and criminal detection devices.
- Directs traffic and provides security for special school events and functions.
- Assists in the training of law enforcement and other support personnel.
- Performs and promotes all activities in compliance with equal employment and nondiscrimination policies; follows federal laws, state laws, school board?s policies and the professional standards.
Maximum Salary 25.63
Minimum Salary 22.13
- High school diploma or GED
- Valid Maryland Class C Non-commercial Drivers License or equivalent
- Successful completion of entry level police officer training certified by the Maryland Police Training Commission (MPTC) and current certification by MPTC as a Police Officer vested with full authority under the Annotated Code of Maryland
- Must successfully complete on-the-job training as determined by the BCPSS Chief of School Police
- Must authorize release of prior employment, credit history, and criminal conviction information.
- Knowledge of grammar, spelling, and punctuation.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to apply law enforcement principles and practices and the techniques of criminal investigation.
- Ability to use police and security equipment and weapons.
- Ability to read and interpret laws, policies, rules, and regulations.
- Ability to maintain composure and demonstrate appropriate professionalism and restraint at all times.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a variety of students, parents, administrators, community and government agencies.
- Ability to write accurate and complete reports.
- Ability to wear and work in personal protective equipment.
- Ability to physically respond to emergency situations requiring physical stamina and force.
- Ability to lift, drag, and carry heavy objects.
- Ability to sit, drive, stand, walk, climb, and run for sustained periods of time.
- Ability to enter and exit police vehicles frequently and quickly.
- Ability to operate police vehicles in all weather conditions.
Full time or Part time Full time
Qualified candidates for the above position must submit the following:
- Completed online application
- Resume that clearly demonstrates the above minimum qualifications. It is important that you include all experiences and education related to the position to which you are applying
- Must submit Maryland Police Training Commission (MPTC) and current certification by MPTC as a Police Officer vested with full authority under the Annotated Code of Maryland
- Must provide three (3) professional references to include: name, title, business address, e-mail address and phone number
Benefits -- This position is eligible for benefits. To review the available options please see the information relevant to the union for this position by viewing the following link: http://www.baltimorecityschools.org
Baltimore City Public Schools is an equal opportunity employer and encourages resumes from bi-lingual or multi-lingual candidates.
Baltimore City Public Schools does not discriminate in any aspect of employment on the basis of race, color, ancestry or national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or age. For inquiries regarding the nondiscrimination policies, please contact the Equal Employment Opportunity Manager, 200 E. North Avenue, Room 208, Baltimore, MD 21202; 410-396-8542 (phone); 410-396-2955 (fax). This position is affiliated with Fraternal Order of Police (FOP) bargaining union.