Related positions are contingent on board approval.
Responsible for the total management, oversight, leadership and direction for the departments of Facilities Maintenance and Operations; Design and Construction, and Planning. The Executive Director of Facilities will provide supervisory responsibility for a staff of approximately 240 and an overall operating budget of approximately $31 million. Advises the Chief Operating Officer and Executive Director of Operations on all technical, operating, and capital matters, relating to the management and operation of all facilities within the system's inventory.
- Represents the COO at various meetings and conferences related to facilities and maintenance operations, including those involving the State of Maryland, City of Baltimore, internal administration, school-based administration, community groups, and the general public.
- Coordinates efforts and regularly engages with Senior Academic officials to plan and implement a long-range facilities plan that incorporates pedagogic priorities.
- Makes allocation decisions based on analysis of economic utility of capital projects
- Makes allocation decisions related to in-house vs. contracted services based on cost-benefit analysis.
- Develops, implements, and thinks creatively about policies related to the use of school buildings that will have a positive impact on district revenues, as well as enhancing community relations and well-being.
- Plans, directs, and coordinates school facilities planning and construction program and ongoing planned, preventive and emergency maintenance and operating programs.
- Oversees and coordinates energy and environmental programs for all facilities within the school system.
- Acts as an advisor to the Board of School Commissioners and senior management on matters relating to facilities management.
- Develops, modifies, implements and interprets administrative regulations concerning facilities management for all facility components of the District to the Board and other interested parties.
- Develops, implements, monitors and promotes continuous improvement initiatives within the areas of facilities, planning, construction, maintenance, and operations.
- Develops recommendations for and coordinates all real property acquisitions, transfers, easements, and leases, and maintain related records.
- Develops and administers programs that facilitate general public use of schools and other facilities under the District?s management.
- Functions as liaison between the COO and Principals, public, and administrative staff on all issues related to planning.
- Monitors and implements procedures for the distribution and use of funds allocated to departments.
- Defines strategic direction for area of responsibility, and leads assigned staff in developing recommendations for strategic long-term goals related to assigned area of responsibility.
- Creates and manages budget for area of responsibility. Develops and monitors time and expense project budgets.
- Plans and controls staffing, and performs other human resources, finance and payroll related functions for assigned employees.
- Manages assigned staff in the development, design, review, implementation and periodic evaluation of project plans and strategies to support the achievement of goals and objectives.
- Evaluates the performance of the Directors of Facility, Maintenance and Operations, Design and Construction, and Planning.
- Provides appropriate supervision, mentoring, and professional growth and development opportunities to assigned staff. Such responsibility includes the development and implementation of professional growth plans to include keeping abreast of current developments, literature, and technical sources of information.
- Ensures the provision of quality products and services. Leads staff in the design, development, implementation, monitoring and documentation of quality and reliability improvement plans and procedures. Confers with and advises subordinates on administrative policies and procedures, technical problems, priorities, and methods.
- Represents the COO in various meetings and conferences related to facilities as required.
- Performs and promotes all activities in compliance with equal employment and nondiscrimination policies; follows federal laws, state laws, school boards policies and the professional standards.
- Bachelor?s degree. Master?s degree preferred. Degree must be from an accredited college or institution.
- Seven years of supervisory/administrative/leadership experience in facilities management with experience in at least two or more of the following areas: facilities management; maintenance and operations; school/commercial building construction; or planning management.
- Other equivalent combination of education and related leadership experience in facilities or construction management, architecture or engineering may be considered.
- Knowledge of relevant Federal and State regulations and guidelines in the areas of facilities, maintenance, construction, and planning.
- Demonstrated experienced and expertise in strategic planning, budget administration, and project management.
- Ability to handle and prioritize multiple tasks.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to negotiate and make persuasive presentations.
- Proficient in the knowledge and use of technical computer applications.
- Ability to analyze problems, recommend and implement workable solutions.
- Ability to work effectively with school principals, teachers, administrators, legislators, and the general public.
- Ability to ensure that high levels of customer service are delivered to the schools throughout the division.
- Demonstrated experience and expertise in strategic planning, budget administration, and project management.
Full time or Part time Full time
Qualified candidates for the above position must submit the following:
- Completed online application
- Resume that clearly demonstrates the above minimum qualifications. It is important that you include all experiences and education related to the position to which you are applying.
- Upload copies of all transcripts ?undergraduate, graduate and all MSDE Certifications
- Must provide three (3) professional references to include: name, title, business address, e-mail address and phone number
- All documentation/certification necessary (scanned copies accepted) to substantiate minimum qualifications; must be uploaded into application
- All documentation must be scanned and uploaded to application
Benefits -- This position is eligible for benefits. To review the available options please see the information relevant to the union for this position by viewing the following link: http://www.baltimorecityschools.org/Departments/hr/benefits/index.asp
Baltimore City Public Schools does not discriminate in any aspect of employment on the basis of race, color, ancestry or national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or age. For inquiries regarding the nondiscrimination policies, please contact the Equal Employment Opportunity Manager, 200 E. North Avenue, Room 208, Baltimore, MD 21202; 410-396-8542 (phone); 410-396-2955 (fax). This position is not affiliated with any bargaining unit.