This is a temporary, trainee position. Candidates that successfully complete training will be eligible for hire as a Regular (full-time) Bus Driver. Operates school buses to transport students, faculty and others to and from school, field trips, athletic events and other events. Drives various routes of regularly assigned bus drivers as needed. Performs other duties as assigned.
Essential Functions Trainees will learn to perform the following functions:
- Operates school buses in compliance with laws, rules, regulations, policies, and procedures. Adheres to established schedules to safely pick up, transport, and discharge students and staff.
- Maintains students discipline on the bus. Coordinates with school principals and area transportation supervisors to resolve serious disciplinary problems.
- Transports students and faculty members on special field trips and to and from athletic events.
- Drives various bus routes. Fills in for regularly assigned bus drivers or bus aides as needed.
- Completes pre and post trip inspections of bus. Fuels bus.
- Responsible for appearance of assigned vehicles. Reports suspected mechanical defects and malfunctioning equipment on assigned vehicles.
- Responsible for the cleanliness of vehicle, inside and outside. May wash, clean, wax and polish vehicle.
- Notes and reports any damage to assigned bus.
- Places wheelchairs securely on wheelchair lifts. Transports students? medical apparatus.
- Keeps records of bus operations and submits required reports; compiles and submits accidents report information; and communicates prolonged traffic delays.
- Develops emergency evacuation plans for all students with all pertinent information for all groups of students transported.
- Attend meetings
- May take vehicles to service when necessary.
- Performs other duties of similar scope and complexity as assigned.
- Performs and promotes all activities in compliance with equal employment and nondiscrimination policies; follows federal laws, state laws, school board?s policies and the professional standards.
Maximum Salary 20.21
Minimum Salary 17.15
- Must be at least 21 years old
- Possession of a high school diploma or an appropriate equivalent is preferred.
- Meets and maintains all qualification and certification for school vehicle drivers required by the Code of Maryland Regulations (COMAR 13A.06.07/01)
- Note: Other combination of applicable education, training, and experience which provide the knowledge, skills and abilities necessary to perform effectively in the position, may be considered.
- Possession of a valid commercial, Class C Maryland driver?s license is required.
- Knowledge of school safety, procedural, and policy guidelines and applicable regulations.
- Skills in communication and human relations.
- Ability to pass an annual physical examination and random drug tests for CDL. Ability to read and write.
- Ability to use and care for school bus and related equipment and supplies according to written and oral instructions.
- Ability to maintain good relationships with administrators, teachers, students, other employees and the public.
Full time or Part time Full time
Qualified candidates for the above position must submit the following:
- Completed online application
- Resume that clearly demonstrates the above minimum qualifications. It is important that you include all experiences and education related to the position to which you are applying.
- Upload current driving record and copy of driver's license
- Must provide three (3) professional references to include: name, title, business address, e-mail address and phone number
- All documentation/certification necessary (scanned copies accepted) to substantiate minimum qualifications; must be uploaded into application
Benefits -- This position is eligible for benefits. To review the available options please see the information relevant to the union for this position by viewing the following link: http://www.baltimorecityschools.org
Baltimore City Public Schools is an equal opportunity employer and encourages resumes from bi-lingual or multi-lingual candidates.
Baltimore City Public Schools does not discriminate in any aspect of employment on the basis of race, color, ancestry or national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or age. For inquiries regarding the nondiscrimination policies, please contact the Equal Employment Opportunity Manager, 200 E. North Avenue, Room 208, Baltimore, MD 21202; 410-396-8542 (phone); 410-396-2955 (fax). This position is affiliated with Local 44 (L44) bargaining union.