Drives and maintains school buses and other transportation vehicles for the safe transportation of students and delivery of varied materials.
- Drives conventional and lift gate type school buses to transport students to and from school and educational field trips. Ensures that disabled and pre-school children wear appropriate seat and safety belts.
- Conducts daily inspections, performs preventive maintenance activities and cleans assigned vehicles.
- Maintains daily automotive vehicle reports to show destination and time of arrival and departure for each student.
- Reports all accidents and vehicular defects.
- Recommends changes to preplanned routes. Modifies or selects alternate routes to destinations that are affected by detours or unusual traffic conditions.
- Drives vehicles to and from repair shops.
- Delivers supplies, transit tickets and mail.
- Inspects buses and other transportation vehicles to ensure that preventive maintenance and service checks have been performed.
- Issues changes in vehicular and bus routes, as directed by the supervisor.
- Reviews the completed daily work sheets for accuracy, neatness and correct pupil information.
- Provides site observations for contractual and city bus drivers.
- Monitors bus routes to ensure safe, timely and dependable delivery of service.
- Conducts emergency school bus evacuation drills at various schools.
- Reviews and corrects descriptions of bus routes.
- Conducts audits of bus routes to ensure the appropriateness of requests for payment by contractors.
- Monitors the activities of school bus drivers to ensure the maintenance of valid driver?s licenses, driving records and drivers training certificates.
- Performs and promotes all activities in compliance with equal employment and nondiscrimination policies; follows federal laws, state laws, school board?s policies and the professional standards.
Maximum Salary 21.46
Minimum Salary 18.16
- Must be at least 21 years old.
- Successful completion of a COMAR regulated training program approved by BCPSS for school bus drivers may be substituted for the experience requirement.
- Maryland Class A or B Commercial driver?s license, or an equivalent out-of-state driver?s license, with passenger and school bus endorsements, and no moving violations.
- Must pass BCPSS road and safety tests.
- Knowledge of Maryland vehicle operation codes, standards and laws.
- Knowledge of procedures to be followed in the event of accidents or emergencies.
- Ability to operate school buses with manual and automatic transmissions and air brake endorsement.
- Ability to read street signs and maps.
- Ability to perform arithmetic calculations.
- Ability to interact effectively with others.
- Ability to maintain records and complete routine report forms.
- Ability to determine automotive malfunctions and to perform routine automotive preventive maintenance.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
Full time or Part time Full time
Qualified candidates for the above position must submit the following:
- Completed online application
- Resume that clearly demonstrates the above minimum qualifications. It is important that you include all experiences and education related to the position to which you are applying.
- Upload current driving record and copy of driver's license
- Must provide three (3) professional references to include: name, title, business address, e-mail address and phone number
- All documentation/certification necessary (scanned copies accepted) to substantiate minimum qualifications; must be uploaded into application
Benefits -- This position is eligible for benefits. To review the available options please see the information relevant to the union for this position by viewing the following link: http://www.baltimorecityschools.org
Baltimore City Public Schools is an equal opportunity employer and encourages resumes from bi-lingual or multi-lingual candidates. For information regarding this posting, please contact the Human Capital Office at 410-396-8885.
Baltimore City Public Schools does not discriminate in any aspect of employment on the basis of race, color, ancestry or national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or age. For inquiries regarding the nondiscrimination policies, please contact the Equal Employment Opportunity Manager, 200 E. North Avenue, Room 208, Baltimore, MD 21202. This position is affiliated with Local 44 (L44) bargaining union.