Performs a variety of routine school-based support and pupil contact duties related to supporting English learning students and emerging bilingual families within Baltimore City Public Schools (City Schools) by assisting teachers, administrators, and other designated professionals in non-instructional activities in support of English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) students and programs. Assists in planning and providing interpretations, leading parent meetings, and limited informal translations. Work is non-instructional and may be administrative support, service oriented, involve monitoring activities in various school settings, and/or assisting students as needed. Teachers, administrators, other designated professionals, or higher-level support personnel may assign tasks. The work is usually basic or can be readily learned on the job.
- Treats all family, staff, and community interpretations in a professional and confidential manner.
- Cultivates and maintains positive interpersonal relationships with colleagues, students, and families.
- Provides interpretation for emerging bilingual families, to include parent-teacher conferences, community meetings, office interactions, and other communications.
- Supports school staff with interpreting a variety of meetings and interactions with emerging bilingual families.
- Assists school staff by performing duties which require interactions with students and families who speak other languages.
- Duties, responsibilities, and requirements should relate to the support of English learners and emerging bilingual families.
- Monitors student activities during lunch periods and recess as required.
- Assists in establishing and maintaining communication between the school, home, and community by disseminating general school plan and program information or information about community events that support English learners or emerging bilingual families.
- Assists in organizing parent groups, conducting workshops and meetings for parents.
- Assists administrators or other school staff by providing support in a language other than English in monitoring student attendance via home visits, written communication, or telephone calls.
- Maintains records of contacts with parents, including general information on routine interactions with families of English learners, as well as specific comments on interactions involving student behavior, academic progress, or access to services and resources
- Works with school based staff to encourage involvement of emerging bilingual families in school activities.
- May require travel between school sites.
- Performs and promotes all activities in compliance with equal employment and nondiscrimination policies; follows federal laws, state laws, school boards policies and the professional standards.
Maximum Salary 16.85
Minimum Salary 14.71
- Graduation from high school or possession of a high school equivalency certificate.
- Certain positions require demonstration of knowledge and skill in using computers to input data, prepare and update documents (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint), and navigate websites for staff or student support related to school work.
- Requires knowledge and competency in in both English and at least one other language, including the application of spelling, punctuation, and grammar rules of the language(s) spoken and written.
- Requires good oral and written communication skills; creating and cultivating positive and mutually respectful family relationships so as to encourage family involvement in school activities;
- Requires exercising patience in working with students and performing job duties in accordance with City Schools? policies, procedures and general practice; maintaining records related to family communication; working with and providing a broad range of assistance to administrators, instructional staff and other school personnel.
Full time or Part time Full time
Qualified candidates for the above position must submit the following:
- Completed online application
- Resume that clearly demonstrates the above minimum qualifications. It is important that you include all experiences and education related to the position to which you are applying.
- Upload copies of all transcripts ?undergraduate, graduate and all MSDE Certifications
- Must provide three (3) professional references to include: name, title, business address, e-mail address and phone number
- All documentation/certification necessary (scanned copies accepted) to substantiate minimum qualifications; must be uploaded into application
- All documentation must be scanned and uploaded to application
Benefits -- This position is eligible for benefits. To review the available options please see the information relevant to the union for this position by viewing the following link: http://www.baltimorecityschools.org/Departments/hr/benefits/index.asp
Baltimore City Public Schools does not discriminate in any aspect of employment on the basis of race, color, ancestry or national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or age. For inquiries regarding the nondiscrimination policies, please contact the Equal Employment Opportunity Manager, 200 E. North Avenue, Room 208, Baltimore, MD 21202; 410-396-8542 (phone); 410-396-2955 (fax). This position is affiliated with the Paraprofessionals and School Related Personnel (PSRP) bargaining unit.