JOB TITLE: Deputy Director, RGV FOCUS STATUS: Exempt REPORTS TO: Senior Director, RGV FOCUS HOURS: Full Time DATE: October 2021 DEPT: Educate Texas/RGV Focus
Educate Texas Vision
A leading catalyst for progress, Educate Texas, a public-private initiative of Communities Foundation of Texas, is an innovative alliance of groups that share a common goal: Strengthen the public and higher education system so that every Texas student is prepared for educational and workforce success.
Educate Texas Mission
Increase postsecondary readiness, access, and success for all students by building partnerships, leading innovation and scaling practices and policies.
RGV FOCUS Vision
Our vision is for all Rio Grande Valley (RGV) learners to achieve a degree or credential that leads to a meaningful career. We will achieve this by strengthening each step of the educational pathway, better connecting our education system, and aligning community resources to provide the support learners need to succeed throughout high school and postsecondary in order to pursue a meaningful career in the RGV and beyond.
The Deputy Director will convene and grow coalitions of stakeholders to create data-informed, equitable strategies for social change with an emphasis on PK12 and Career and Technical Education (CTE). The Deputy Director will work closely with the Senior Director to connect and align partnerships towards shared goals and outcomes. This position is based in the Rio Grande Valley with occasional travel when necessary.
- Collaborate and communicate regularly with diverse partners in building strategic clarity for connecting and aligning partner goals with regional goals adopted by RGV FOCUS, particularly in the area of PK12 education with an emphasis on career and technical education
- Research and identify strategies to improve outcomes meeting cradle to career milestones for continuous improvement
- Co-convene and co-facilitate working groups among partners using principles of collective impact and results-based facilitation
- Work with partners and work groups to identify gaps and opportunities while seeking to articulate target populations, desired outcomes, and measurable indicators of success • Assess the current conditions, including outcome trends over time and the partners that are working toward the outcome
- Locate, disaggregate, and use data to forecast, structure conversations, and make decisions about complex social issues
- Facilitate conversations and commitments around performance measures for various collective actions
- Track and evaluate metrics of initiative success while monitoring interventions against outcomes
- Create a culture of shared accountability, founded on principles of failing forward and courageous conversations
- Develop systems and procedures in support of the identification, engagement, and development of system-level institutions
- Conceptualize new strategic initiatives that could be built around or benefit from other partnerships
- Promote knowledge sharing through the building of blueprints, frameworks, toolkits, and other resources to be shared to improve organizational process and systems
- Build trust and effective working relationships with action and advisory groups, coaching through conflict resolution, addressing performance, and encouraging shared ownership of work related to RGV FOCUS’ vision, goals and outcomes.
- Support the grant writing process through collaboration with grant team in preparing materials required for grant applications
- Manage and perform day-to-day activities for your area
- Implement strategy developed by supervisors and Educate Texas Leadership and contribute to discussions regarding long-term strategy
- Support budget oversight and maintenance, fundraising efforts, and communication pieces for your area
- Manage and develop individual team members as needed
- Bachelor’s degree, Masters or higher preferred
- 5+ years of experience with collaborative cross-sector partnerships
- Bilingual preferred
- Experience in building education and career partnerships (traditional ISD or charters) with particular experience in career and technical education (CTE)
- Experience in data analysis and reporting, including a strong command of data analysis and visualization; knowledge of educational data preferred
- Experience in building blueprints, frameworks and other resources
- Knowledge of education and its infrastructure and regulations in Texas preferred
- Experience in the Rio Grande Valley of Texas and urban, underserved areas preferred • Ability to clearly communicate technical information to a wide variety of audiences, possess strong written and oral communications skills
- Results oriented, skilled at leading and participating in teams, and able to manage multiple and complex objectives and tasks concurrently with tight deadlines
- Comfort with ambiguity and ability to thrive in a fluid, entrepreneurial environment; willingness to “roll up one’s sleeves” and extend beyond formal responsibilities based on the needs of the work
- Candidates must possess a deep understanding of the challenges and barriers faced by marginalized communities, including but not limited to race, ethnicity, class, ability, immigration status, and gender, and experience engaging with and working alongside communities of color
- Willingness to challenge the status quo
- Excellent attention to detail and accuracy
- Presence to inspire confidence and passion in external audiences and to build
effective relationships with a range of stakeholders
- Team player who can work with partners and participants to support Educate Texas’s success • Passion to learn and grow
- Ability to synthesize different ideas and points of view
- Public speaking and presentation experience; excellent communicator capable of presenting collective impact work effectively to its partners, participants and the public
- Ability to thrive in a fluid, unstructured, entrepreneurial environment
- Flexibility and the ability to work autonomously as well as take direction as needed • Strong community engagement and facilitation skills
- Existing relationships with, or ability to build relationships with, a range of cross
sector stakeholders in the local or regional area, including senior executives
- Creative individual who can work effectively with multiple
constituencies and shape solutions that will work for a particular school or community • Valid state issued drivers’ license
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and/or skills required of all employees within this class.
Accommodations: Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position.
We are working closely with our talent partner, WorkMonger, on this search.