Position at IDEA Public Schools About IDEA Public Schools
At IDEA Public Schools, we believe in college for ALL and we are committed to ensuring that all our students graduate from college. IDEA Public Schools has grown from a small school to the fastest-growing network of tuition-free Pre-K-12 public charter schools in the United States sending 100% of our students to college. 50% of our students graduate from college in 6 years - that's 8 times the national rate for students in our communities!
IDEA was founded in 2000 as a single school with 150 students in the Rio Grande Valley. When interest exceeded building capacity, to meet the demands, IDEA's co-founders committed to serving more students in the Rio Grande Valley of Texas and beyond. We now serve nearly 53,000 students across Texas and Louisiana. By 2022, IDEA will serve 100,000 students. Be on the lookout for IDEA schools opening near you-with continued growth in our current regions and new launches in Houston (2020), Permian Basin (2020), and Tampa Bay (2021)!
When you choose to work at IDEA, you are part of our IDEA Team and Family. You will work alongside team members who set and reach ambitious goals every day, are excited to continue to grow with IDEA, and work relentlessly to make college for all a reality.
To learn more about IDEA, check out this video
. About the Rio Grande Valley
Since 2000, IDEA Public Schools has grown from a school of 150 students in Donna, TX to the fastest- growing family of tuition-free, public charter schools in the United States. In the Rio Grande Valley, we are a nucleus of four counties (Cameron, Hidalgo, Starr and Willacy County) that work as one unit to support our children academically and holistically.
RGV is home to a population of just over 1.3 million residents. Children across the region truly benefit from IDEA's mission of college for all as only 1 out of 17 students' graduate college ready. Our mission holds true as we have 2,400 IDEA alumni that currently attend, or have graduated from, 150 colleges and universities across the country.
Join our passionate team of changemakers in south Texas as we prepare to expand our home region to 55 schools, serving over 38,000 students in 2022.Role Mission:
The Cafeteria Assistant Manager assists the Cafeteria Manager in leading the CNP team at the campus level on our mission in becoming one of the healthiest school districts in the nation. They adhere to the food and nutrition standards set forth by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) and Texas Department of Agriculture (TDA). Daily and weekly, they place orders for food and supplies, monitor the quality of the food production in the kitchen and deliver on our promise to that all students getting a nutritious and appealing meal every day. Other duties include, but are not limited to: maintaining sales records, processing payments, data entry, customer service (parents and students), inventory management, and coordinating with Cafeteria Manager in making College For All a reality. AccountabilitiesMeet the campus fund balance goal by June 30 while maintaining menu compliance (prorated per semester).
Ensure 80% breakfast and 85% lunch student participation in our meal program throughout the school year.
- Monitor the quality of the food daily, apply corrective action as needed
- Place orders for product/service as established by the Cafeteria Manager to ensure 100% accuracy of the menu daily
- Execute Breakfast in the Classroom ensuring every student takes a minimum of 3 out of 5 meal components for breakfast and lunch
- Assist in completion of Food Production Record as per state compliance (daily)
- Implement measures of inventory control, such as locking dry storage, double checking invoices against physical order, portion control per serving
- Review the monthly financial report (CNP Budget Tracker) and make sure to target 40% Food Cost and 25% Payroll Cost
- Monitor waste (due to overproduction of food) on a daily basis, communicate corrective action (to the Cafeteria Manager) as needed for food service specialist
Reach the HUSSC Smarter Lunchrooms Gold Standard within 45 days of the first day of school and through the last day of school.
- Conduct Breakfast in the Class audits (weekly) with a target compliance accuracy of 100%
- Report recipe/menu errors to the Cafeteria Manager immediately
- Administer student menu survey on a quarterly basis; survey designed by the Nutrition team
- Use campus parent functions (i.e. report card night, ) to speak to parents about the advantages of participating in our meal program
- Identify students bringing lunch from home, speak to student(s), and identify the reason as to why; report findings to Cafeteria Manager
- Maintain an 85% employee retention rate for the cafeteria.
- Hold weekly employee huddles where topics vary between operations and nutritional matters
- Call Food Service Specialist Substitutes when a regular employee fails to show up for their scheduled shift
- Assist the Cafeteria Manager in preparing an Annual Performance Review for every hourly employee that contains honest feedback on individual work performance and growth opportunities
- Identify employee issues early as to avoid escalation, coordinate with CNP Operations Manager and/or Human Resources
Prepare the team for zero findings in Texas Department of Agriculture, external and internal follow up audit(s) with 100% of food production records complete.
- Use the United Stated Department of Agriculture (USDA) self-assessment checklist for recommendations and techniques; coordinate efforts with the Cafeteria Manager
- Speak to students, parents, campus staff in an effort to promote more consumption of fresh fruits and vegetables through food preparation & display
- Ensure Food Service Specialists are rotating milk to ensure freshest product is available to all students
- Decorate the serving line with signage that provides both color and nutritional information that will appeal to students
- Implement and maintain salad bars in such way as to continue to increase student participation in our meal program
We look for Team and Family who embody the following values and characteristics:
- Coordinate efforts with the Cafeteria Manager to follow the established menu every day; do not serve items outside our advertised menu
- Follow established policies & procedures for a food service operation as per the state guidelines
- Complete campus mock audits as per our internal schedule to ensure audit readiness
- Reach out to HQ CNP as needed for guidance in matters of finance, nutrition, and operations
- Complete food production records as to support cafeteria manager
- Believes and is committed to our mission and being an agent of change: that all students are capable of getting to and through college
- Has demonstrated effective outcomes and results, and wants to be held accountable for them
- Has a propensity for action, willing to make mistakes by doing in order to learn and improve quickly
- Works with urgency and purpose to drive student outcomes
- Thrives in an entrepreneurial, high-growth environment; is comfortable with ambiguity and change
- Seeks and responds well to feedback, which is shared often and freely across all levels of the organization
- Works through silos and forges strong cross-departmental relationships in order to achieve outcomes
- We believe in education as a profession and hold ourselves to high level of conduct, professionalism and behaviors as models for our colleagues and students.
Licenses or Certifications:
- Education: High School diploma or equivalent required
- Experience: 2+ years in food service, restaurant, or hospitality industry
- Licenses or Certifications (if applicable): Local or state recognized food safety certification
Knowledge and Skills:
- Valid Texas driver's license
- Valid Food Handler's card
- The ability to motivate, delegate, and lead a team to accomplish goals.
- Knowledge of methods, materials, equipment, and processes used in food production and management.
- Strong understanding of safety and sanitation practices involved with food production.
- Haa the ability to understand and interpret data (charts, graphs, etc.).
- Can handle stress well to meet deadlines.
- Effective organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Computer literacy with understanding of Microsoft Office Suite (i.e. Excel).
- Able to follows verbal and written direction and asks for clarification as needed.
- Demonstrates problem solving, adaptability and flexibility.
- Good mathematical skills and basic finance understanding.
- Salaries for this role typically fall between $14.75 and $18.44, commensurate with relevant experience and qualifications. This role is also eligible for a performance bonus based on individual and organizational performance and goal attainment.
IDEA Public Schools does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, sex or disability, in admission or access to, or treatment of employment in its programs and activities. Any person having inquiries concerning the organization's compliance with the regulations implementing Title VI of Civil Rights Act of 1964 (Title VI), Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (Section 504), or Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA), may contact IDEA Human Resources at (956) 377-8000.