Assists teachers and school administrators in planning and providing classroom instruction to students. Works with students individually and in small groups implementing lesson plans, assessing performance, reinforcing instruction, motivating learning, and assisting with classroom management. Assists teachers in coordinating instructional activities with other teachers, resource teachers, parents, and service providers. Employees in this job class are required to be highly qualified by No Child Left Behind (NCLB) criteria. May be designated as general education, special education, Pre-K, or ESOL.
This posting is for employees who will remain in their current job title but wish to transfer to another school location
. This includes voluntary transfers, surplus employees, and employees at closing school locations. Employees who would like to transition into this job title from another job title may only be considered if there are no existing surplus employees in need of placement.
- Provides direct instructional assistance in support of classroom and learning activities.
- Assists teachers in planning, implementing, and evaluating instructional lessons, strategies, activities, and materials.
- Assists students individually and in small groups with instructional activities, skills reinforcement activities, and other instruction related activities.
- Assists teacher in monitoring and managing student behavior and in classroom management.
- Assists in administering tests and assessments.
- Observes and gathers assessment data on students.
- Discusses observations and progress of students with instructional staff.
- Prepares a variety of instructional materials, audio-visual aids, and reports, as requested.
- Assists in maintaining an attractive, neat, and safe classroom.
- Performs clerical support tasks including correction of tests and work papers, maintaining attendance logs, maintaining student folders and records, maintaining inventory, and reproduction of instructional related materials.
- Provides support and instructional assistance in writing, science, computer or other technology laboratory and ensures proper maintenance and care of laboratory equipment.
- Supervises and monitors students in off-site instruction and on field trips.
- May supervise play periods and playground activities of children.
- May attend to younger children during rest periods.
- Performs and promotes all activities in compliance with equal employment and non-discrimination policies; follows federal laws, state laws, school board policies and the professional standards.
Maximum Salary 22.15
Minimum Salary 19.40
- Graduation from High school or possession of a high school equivalency certificate
- At least 48 college credits from an accredited college or university or successful completion of the MSDE Para Pro Assessment
- One year of experience working with children
- Certain positions may require that candidates demonstrate the ability to operate office, audio/visual, or other related equipment
- Understanding of what motivates student learning
- Understanding of the curriculum in the classroom to which assigned
- Knowledge and competency in business English, spelling punctuation, grammar and arithmetic
- Ability to exercise patience and composure in working with children including those who have special needs
- Ability to handle all matters in a professional and confidential manner
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions
- Ability to make decisions in accordance with City Schools policies, procedures, and general practice
- Ability to work effectively with staff and children
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing
- Ability to maintain clerical and student records
- Ability to perform routine and non-routine instructional tasks
Full time or Part time Full time
Qualified candidates for the above position must submit the following:
- Resume that clearly demonstrates the above minimum qualifications. It is important that you include all experiences and education related to the position to which you are applying.
- Two (2) official transcripts from all colleges attended
- All documentation/certification (copies accepted) to substantiate minimum qualifications, e.g., copy of MSDE Para Pro Assessment score report
Benefits -- This position is eligible for benefits. To review the available options please see the information relevant to the union for this position by viewing the following link: http://www.baltimorecityschools.org
Baltimore City Public Schools is an equal opportunity employer and encourages resumes from bi-lingual or multi-lingual candidates.
Notice of Nondiscrimination
Baltimore City Public Schools does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry or national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or age in its employment, programs and activities and provides equal access to the Boy Scouts of America and other designated youth groups. For inquiries regarding the nondiscrimination policies, please contact Equal Opportunity Manager, Title IX Coordinator Equal Employment Opportunity and Title IX Compliance Office 200 E. North Avenue, Room 208 Baltimore, MD 21202; 410-396-8542 (phone); 410-396-2955 (fax). This position is affiliated with the Paraprofessionals and School Related Personnel (PSRP) bargaining unit.