Under the supervision of a Principal or, central office department or administrator, the Secretary performs a full range of secretarial work and office support duties. Assignment of this job class shall be in accordance with the Baltimore City Public Schools allocation plan for secretarial positions.
- Exercises sound judgement, tact and courtesy in screening visitors and telephone calls for superior; provides information or answers to inquiries not requiring superior's attention or refers callers to appropriate source on own initiative.
- Maintains supervisor's appointment schedule, revising as necessary to accommodate changing priorities; contacts others to arrange appointments or conferences; notifies superior in advance of appointments; assembles correspondence, files and other materials in preparation for meetings.
- Devises attractive and efficient formats for materials not covered by standard formats.
- Reads correspondence and reports, and summarizes information to facilitate superior's review.
- Prepares meeting agenda from superior's instructions and other submitted material; provides agendas and related information to superior and others.
- Composes correspondence, independently or with minimal direction; may sign routine correspondence or form letters for superior.
- Makes revises or cancels travel arrangements for superior; maintains expense records and prepares reports.
- Logs and routes correspondence, information or work instructions from supervisor to staff members; monitors deadlines and follow-up actions.
- Maintains personal and confidential files and oversees maintenance of other important or sensitive record systems.
- Receives training in or operate personal computers and/or work processors.
- Performs a variety of general office support duties necessary for efficient office operation.
- Performs and promotes all activities in compliance with equal employment and nondiscrimination policies; follows federal laws, state laws, school board's policies and the professional standards.
Maximum Salary 21.53
Minimum Salary 17.44
- High School graduate or equivalent.
- Two years of office support experience, including one year in a secretarial role.
- Knowledge of business procedures/protocol.
- Knowledge of English grammar and usage, spelling, punctuation and vocabulary.
- Knowledge of standard business formats for correspondence, narrative reports and related materials.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment on a variety of matters guided by general instructions.
- Ability to locate and retrieve information from a variety of sources and to compile the information following general directions.
- Ability to interact with other employees and the public with tact and courtesy.
- Skilled in use of advanced computer programs, including Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Good verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to compose business correspondence.
Full time or Part time Full time
Qualified candidates for the above position must submit the following:
- Completed online application
- Resume that clearly demonstrates the above minimum qualifications. It is important that you include all experiences and education related to the position to which you are applying.
- Upload copies of all transcripts -undergraduate, graduate and all MSDE Certifications
- Must provide three (3) professional references to include: name, title, business address, e-mail address and phone number
- All documentation/certification necessary (scanned copies accepted) to substantiate minimum qualifications; must be uploaded into application
- All documentation must be scanned and uploaded to application
Benefits -- This position is eligible for benefits. To review the available options please see the information relevant to the union for this position by viewing the following link: http://www.baltimorecityschools.org/Departments/hr/benefits/index.asp
Notice of Nondiscrimination
Baltimore City Public Schools does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry or national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or age in its employment, programs and activities and provides equal access to the Boy Scouts of America and other designated youth groups. For inquiries regarding the nondiscrimination policies, please contact Equal Opportunity Manager, Title IX Coordinator Equal Employment Opportunity and Title IX Compliance Office 200 E. North Avenue, Room 208 Baltimore, MD 21202; 410-396-8542 (phone); 410-396-2955 (fax). This position is affiliated with the Paraprofessionals and School Related Personnel (PSRP) bargaining unit.