The Background Check Intern plays a critical role in administering City Year’s background check process for its 3,000 AmeriCorps members annually. Background checks help to ensure that City Year brings in great AmeriCorps members to support students in the communities we serve, and that we stay in compliance with requirements from AmeriCorps. This is a great opportunity for a mission-driven, detail-oriented individual to learn about how a large, national non-profit works, as well as to take on significant responsibility for a critical business process. No prior experience with background checks is required. This position is part of City Year’s national People Team and reports to the Senior Background Screening & Onboarding Specialist.
We are looking for someone would start part-time in the spring and then work full-time in the summer. This is a paid position and we expect to pay $15-18/hour, depending on prior experience.
Administer background checks
· Learn how to request and review background checks through Truescreen, our most important vendor system
· Request and review AmeriCorps member background checks in a timely manner
· Maintain up-to-date and accurate records of all background checks
· Conduct periodic audits to ensure the accuracy of our background check records
· Process vendor invoices and partner with our Finance team to ensure payment
Provide excellent customer service
· Proactively send instructions to new AmeriCorps members on how to complete background checks
· Support AmeriCorps members by answering question to help them complete their background checks
· Manage a shared inbox to receive and direct incoming questions to the appropriate person
· Strong self-starter with the ability to fully own and execute mission-critical processes
· Demonstrated learning orientation and ability to research and resolve issues
· Exceptional attention to detail and ability to operate with consistency in a fast-paced environment
· Prior experience managing and improving operational processes
· Microsoft Office 365 experience, especially Microsoft Excel strongly preferred
· Commitment to mission-driven work, especially in support of people of marginalized identities strongly preferred
· Experience using web-based systems to enter, process and receive data preferred
Compensation and Benefits
Full time employees are entitled to compensation commensurate with experience. Benefits for full time employees include health insurance with Flexible Spending Account, paid vacation, holidays, parental leave, 401K, and more.
City Year is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to a diverse workforce. Individuals from all backgrounds are encouraged to apply, including persons with disabilities and veterans.