Good Reason Houston
ABOUT THE ROLE
Good Reason Houston is seeking an experienced, strategic and creative Communications
Director to lead Good Reason Houston’s internal and external communication, manage and
strengthen its brand, and elevate issues of school quality across the City of Houston.
This person should be a proven leader in communications strategy who understands that
everything the organization says and does should strengthen its credibility and influence and advance the mission of ensuring every child in every Houston neighborhood has a high-quality school. This person should be skilled at recognizing and capitalizing on external opportunities, building and executing a strategy across multiple teams, and excellent at motivating people and both lateral management and managing up.
This position jointly reports to the Chief Public Affairs Officer and The Chief Advancement
Officer of Good Reason Houston. They will manage a team that includes one full time graphic designer and a set of external communications consultants.
ABOUT GOOD REASON HOUSTON
Good Reason Houston’s vision is that every child, in every neighborhood, excels in a
world-class public school and thrives in the Houston of tomorrow. To grow more great schools in every neighborhood in Houston, the organization focuses on four key strategic levers:
● Driving District Transformation
● Developing Game-changing Educators
● Advancing Equitable Access
● Engaging the Community
● Internal Communications
○ Develop and manage the internal communication for Good Reason Houston’s
○ Create Systems and Processes to incorporate the work of all teams in Good
Reason Houston’s communication strategy.
○ Inform, engage, and elevate other staff in communications work to diversify the
○ Manage, refresh, and train staff in Good Reason Houston’s brand guidelines.
● External Communications
○ Set and pursue an elegant and effective communication strategy to position
Good Reason Houston as a key leader on school quality in the Houston
community while continuing to build brand awareness.
○ Develop initiatives, content, and manage Good Reason Houston’s social media
channels to expand influence and audience, and highlight our work.
○ Develop and manage a comprehensive media relations strategy that includes
state and local education press, online and digital outlets, and national outlets.
○ Serve as one of the external representatives of Good Reason Houston across
the greater Houston community
○ Ideate, create, and develop all necessary collateral material for all teams.
● Strategy & Vision Setting
○ Annually, set internal and external communications goals across all teams and
functions, and monitor progress toward goal throughout the year.
○ Determine key communication goals and systems for progress monitoring, both
internally and externally
○ Set and manage the vision for Good Reason Houston’s events in partnership
with all relevant staff.
● Bachelor’s degree required.
● Minimum three years of communications, marketing, public relations or journalism work.
● 1-2 years managing communications strategy and/or team.
● Media Relations Experience
● Record of results in communication strategy and externally representing an organization.
● Exceptional oral and written comprehension and expression
● Experience setting vision and direction for a cross-team strategy
● Creative problem solving
● Adaptability, curiosity, and service orientation
● Executing strong judgment and decision making
● Experience providing guidance, direction, and motivation to teammates
● Experience and sophistication in managing up and managing laterally to accomplish
● Monitoring and performance assessment
● Problem sensitivity and solution focus
● K-12 public education experience preferred, but not required