KIPP Texas Public Schools is a network of 59 public charter, open-enrollment, pre-k-12 schools educating nearly 34,000 students across Austin, Dallas-Ft. Worth, Houston, and San Antonio. Together with families and communities, our mission is to create joyful, academically excellent schools that prepare students with the skills and confidence to pursue the paths they choose -college, career, and beyond-so they can lead fulfilling lives and build a more just world.
Founded in Houston in 1994, and operating as KIPP Texas since 2018, our commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and antiracism in our classrooms, in our offices, and in the communities we serve is unwavering. We are looking to hire a diverse team of dynamic, collaborative, and dedicated individuals with an unyielding belief that every child will succeed. Join our Team and Family and champion equity, chase excellence, persist with purpose, bring joy
, and help us rise together
KIPP Texas is part of the national KIPP network of 255 college-preparatory public charter schools in 20 states and the District of Columbia. Nationwide, KIPP students complete four-year college at a rate of 36 percent, comparable to the national average for all students and approximately three times higher than the average of students from low-income communities.Job Description
The Literacy Coach role is an exciting opportunity for an individual who has extensive experience with K-12 ELA teaching and learning, deep content knowledge of literacy best practices and the science of reading, and a passion for curriculum and instruction; who is committed to advancing culturally responsive teaching; and who is eager to influence literacy education in their region.
The Literacy Coach will play a critical role at the school-level in an effort to drive improved student results, including growth and achievement, college and career readiness, and closing the achievement gap, at high-needs KIPP schools in one of our regions: Houston, Austin, Dallas, or San Antonio. Duties and Essential Job Functions:
QualificationsKnowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Curriculum Implementation | Collaborate with regional Literacy Leads and School Leaders to develop and execute a strategy to tighten implementation of our adopted ELA curricula at a small portfolio of high-priority/high-needs campuses in the region; create supplemental resources as needed to help teachers and coaches better internalize and execute modules/lessons.
- Data Analysis | Regularly analyze a variety of qualitative and quantitative data for their portfolio of schools to identify strengths and gaps in the schools' literacy instruction; strategically progress monitor curriculum implementation and support school-based coaches with data analysis through a content lens (drawing transferable and actionable conclusions from ELA data).
- Professional Development | Plan and facilitate virtual and in-person professional development to ensure teachers and coaches at priority schools are on a path to implement the reading and writing curriculum, as well as supplemental blended learning programs, with fidelity and aligned to the KIPP Texas literacy vision.
- Instructional Coaching | Support school administrators and teachers with executing action plans and making progress towards goals for their priority grade levels (determined based on data) to ultimately close achievement gaps widened by pandemic-related learning loss.
- well-acquainted with the college-ready bar for students in literacy; has exceptionally high standards for students' potential,and an unyielding belief that ALL students can achieve at high levels
- deeply knowledgeable about the science of reading and expectations for K-12 literacy instruction and assessment (including ELA TEKS and familiarity with STAAR)
- detail-oriented and obsessed with accuracy, especially in the areas of curriculum and assessments
- able to project plan around multiple priorities and fast-paced deadlines
- a strong communicator and tailors their message for the audience, context, and mode of communication
- comfortable with ambiguity and can translate abstract ideas into concrete work plans and products
- flexible and solutions-oriented when faced with shifting priorities, demands, and timelines
- skilled at building coalitions and collaborating with diverse stakeholders at all levels, including but not limited to state leaders, regional leaders, school leaders, coaches, teachers and students
- organized in establishing clear expectations, deliverables and deadlines across organizational layers
Required Education and/or Experience:
- empathetic for the issues facing students and teachers; demonstrates cultural competence
- Bachelor's degree (required), master's degree (preferred)
- a master literacy teacher (or coach of literacy teachers) with proven results advancing students' reading and writing skills
- experienced coaching teachers and/or leaders to improve instruction through observation & feedback; can identify targeted impact statements (action steps) based on observations to improve instruction efficiently and effectively
Houston, TXCompensation and Benefits:
In addition to a competitive salary scale, a part of KIPP Texas' competitive benefits options, KIPP offers all employees an $0 HMO plan for the employee only. In addition to our $0 plan, KIPP provides a $600 employer contribution towards a Health Savings Account and a variety of other supplemental benefits such as Dental, Vision, Short and Long-Term Disability, Pet Insurance, Life, etc.Funding:
The Literacy Coach will be funded directly from the Elementary and Secondary Schools Emergency Relief (ESSER) grants awarded by the Texas Education Agency under the Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2021 (ESSER II) and the American Rescue Plan Act of 2021 (ESSER III). This position will be funded solely (100%) from the ESSER II and III allocation for Direct expenses through September 30, 2023, and may continue to be funded through September 30, 2024, depending upon the availability of ESSER grant funds. At the end of the grant period this position may be eliminated unless other sources of funds are secured to maintain this position or a similar position. The employee must sign this job description acknowledging receipt of the job description and signing their acknowledgement that this position is grant funded and is temporarily aligning with the terms of the grant period.