Under the supervision and guidance of the Director - Student Conduct & Attendance, the Staff Specialist will be responsible for managing and facilitating the district's student discipline, attendance, and related processes - in accordance with the policies of the Baltimore City Board of School Commissioners, CEO administrative regulations, and Maryland law and regulations - including referral services, intervention activities, reentry assignment determinations, and family conferences. This position will also provide direct bilingual support to families and staff regarding the day-to-day services and technical assistance needed for the implementation of the districts' policies regarding student conduct and attendance.
- Coordinates, trains, and provides regular support for school-based staff at elementary, middle, and high schools.
- Collaborates with key offices/teams throughout the district (Communications, Engagement, Information Technology, Special Education, Enrollment, Choice, & Transfers, New Initiatives, Student Wholeness, Differentiated Learning, Reengagement, Teaching& Learning, College & Career Readiness) to provide parents, students, schools, and other key stakeholders with timely and helpful information about student conduct and attendance processes.
- Implements student transition plans, policies, and procedures.
- Meets with students and families to review and suggest school options for reentry assignments.
- Manages compliance requirements at all levels ? local, state, and federal ? regarding school assignment and student enrollment.
- Maintains collaborative communications and working relationships with school, area, and district leadership.
- Maintains knowledge of current developments, legislation, literature, and technical sources of information relevant to student wholeness, behavior management frameworks, student conduct, school reentry, attendance, and enrollment.
- Performs and promotes all activities in compliance with equal employment and nondiscrimination polices; follows federal and state laws, school board policies, and the professional standards.
- Customer Focus ? Commits to meeting the expectations and requirements of internal and external stakeholders; acts with stakeholders in mind; values importance of providing high-quality customer service.
- Interpersonal Skills ? Builds constructive and effective relationships; uses diplomacy and tact to diffuse tense situations; can put others at ease and disarm hostility.
- Managing Relationships ? Responds and relates well to people in all positions; is seen as a team player and is cooperative; looks for common ground and solves problems for the good of all.
- Functional/Technical Skills ? Possesses required functional and technical knowledge and skill to accomplish job tasks at a high level; demonstrates active interest and ability to enhance and apply new functional skills.
Maximum Salary 81555.00
Minimum Salary 65908.00
- Bachelor?s degree in a related field from an accredited college or institution; Master?s degree preferred.
- Three to four years of proven experience in a related field (student/family counseling, teaching, admissions, enrollment management, marketing/sales, mediation/dispute resolution, student services, social work).
- Strong interpersonal skills and experience communicating and interacting effectively and respectfully with individuals from diverse backgrounds and all demographic communities.
- Exceptional, bilingual written and oral communication skills are needed with a strong ability to relate to a diverse range of individuals, including letters and professional reports.
- Excellent project management, communications, customer service, decision making, presentation, time management, and organization skills.
- Proficient use of technical computer applications, including Microsoft Office applications, data management systems, and the ability and willingness to learn other applications as needed.
- Experience using enrollment management software, implementing student interventions and supports, conflict mediation/resolution, professional learning facilitation, or data analysis is preferred.
- Ability to respond to multiple requests and inquiries within a sense of urgency.
- Ability to demonstrate and maintain a high degree of professionalism, attention to detail, strong ethical standards, ability to work with urgency, and a positive, flexible, high-energy attitude, with a drive for personal and collective excellence.
- Demonstrated ability to obtain the trust and confidence of individuals at all organizational levels.
- Previous experience in providing direct and/or behavioral services to underserved and underrepresented students and students with disabilities.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise independent judgment and prudence in dealing with sensitive, confidential matters, and remain non-judgmental.
- Previous experience in program development, team building, and providing technical assistance that supports implementation fidelity.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a multicultural environment (urban setting preferred), build consensus, and maintain focus on meeting students? needs.
Full time or Part time Full time
Qualified candidates for the above position must submit the following:
- Completed online application
- Resume that clearly demonstrates the above minimum qualifications. It is important that you include all experiences and education related to the position to which you are applying.
- Upload copies of all transcripts -undergraduate, graduate and all MSDE Certifications
- Must provide three (3) professional references to include: name, title, business address, e-mail address and phone number
- All documentation/certification necessary (scanned copies accepted) to substantiate minimum qualifications; must be uploaded into application
- All documentation must be scanned and uploaded to application
Benefits -- This position is eligible for benefits. To review the available options please see the information relevant to the union for this position by viewing the following link: http://www.baltimorecityschools.org
Baltimore City Public Schools does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry or national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or age in its employment, programs and activities and provides equal access to the Boy Scouts of America and other designated youth groups. For inquiries regarding the nondiscrimination policies, please contact Equal Opportunity Manager, Title IX Coordinator Equal Employment Opportunity and Title IX Compliance Office 200 E. North Avenue, Room 208 Baltimore, MD 21202; 410-396-8542 (phone); 410-396-2955 (fax).This position is affiliated with the Paraprofessionals and School Related Personnel (PSRP) bargaining unit.