The ESOL Family Engagement Associate will enhance the District's efforts to support ESOL families by providing effective communication between the District, schools, and families. The Associate will provide written and oral translation and interpretation from English/Spanish and vice-versa for various meetings, events, documents, and activities for District ESOL families.
- Reads through or listens to material in one language, ascertains understanding of the meaning and context of that material, and converts it into a second language, making sure to preserve the original meaning.
- Prepares written translations for duplication for the purpose of providing materials in Spanish and English as needed.
- Follows established translation rules related to factors such as word meaning, sentence structure, grammar and punctuation.
- Consults with subject matter experts and other colleagues in order to understand specialized concepts and translate them appropriately.
- Assess projects and provide colleagues with estimated deadlines based on project length and level of complexity.
- Follows up with colleagues to evaluate service delivery ensure satisfaction and understanding.
- Provides oral interpretations as required by phone conferences or in person.
- Provides English/Spanish translation at district and school-level engagement events or meetings as assigned.
- Assist the Specialist-ESOL Family Engagement with administrative duties and implementing engagement events for ESOL students and families. Duties include identifying event venues, coordinating partnerships, and organizing enrichment activities.
- Performs and promotes all activities in compliance with equal employment and nondiscrimination policies; follow federal laws, state laws, school board policies and the professional standards.
- Customer Focus ? Commits to meeting the expectations and requirements of internal and external stakeholders; acts with stakeholders in mind; values importance of providing high-quality customer service.
- Interpersonal Skills ? Builds constructive and effective relationships; uses diplomacy and tact to diffuse tense situations; can put others at ease and disarm hostility.
- Managing Relationships ? Responds and relates well to people in all positions; is seen as a team player and is cooperative; looks for common ground and solves problems for the good of all.
- Functional/Technical Skills ? Possesses required functional and technical knowledge and skill to accomplish job tasks at a high level; demonstrates active interest and ability to enhance and apply new functional skills.
Maximum Salary 64674.00
Minimum Salary 52144.00
- High school diploma or GED required; Bachelor?s Degree preferred. Degree must be from an accredited college or institution.
- Native Spanish speaker required. Ability to fluently read, write, and speak in English and Spanish.
- Specific knowledge required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job includes: education terms, education processes and programs, and protocol in confidential translation/interpretation.
- Must be detail-oriented, self-motivated and able to multi-task.
- Ability to effectively work and communicate with students, parents, and school personnel from diverse cultures or backgrounds in English and Spanish.
- Maintain integrity of confidential information relating to students, staff, or district personnel.
- Knowledge of laws, regulations, rules, and policies affecting City Schools? English learners.
- Experience working with schools, community-based or family supporting organizations.
- Ability to work flexible hours to include weekends and evenings.
- Knowledge of Microsoft office required. Additional software and content management system knowledge a plus.
- Familiar with education policy issues and interest in public education and improving outcomes for vulnerable children, particularly ESOL students and families.
Full time or Part time Full time
Qualified candidates for the above position must submit the following:
- Completed online application
- Resume that clearly demonstrates the above minimum qualifications. It is important that you include all experiences and education related to the position to which you are applying.
- Upload copies of all transcripts -undergraduate, graduate and all MSDE Certifications
- Must provide three (3) professional references to include: name, title, business address, e-mail address and phone number
- All documentation/certification necessary (scanned copies accepted) to substantiate minimum qualifications; must be uploaded into application
- All documentation must be scanned and uploaded to application
Benefits -- This position is eligible for benefits. To review the available options please see the information relevant to the union for this position by viewing the following link: http://www.baltimorecityschools.org
Baltimore City Public Schools does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry or national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or age in its employment, programs and activities and provides equal access to the Boy Scouts of America and other designated youth groups. For inquiries regarding the nondiscrimination policies, please contact Equal Opportunity Manager, Title IX Coordinator Equal Employment Opportunity and Title IX Compliance Office 200 E. North Avenue, Room 208 Baltimore, MD 21202; 410-396-8542 (phone); 410-396-2955 (fax).This position is affiliated with the Paraprofessionals and School Related Personnel (PSRP) bargaining unit.