KIPP Houston Public Schools Houston, TX Type:
Leadership & Support Staff Full Time/Part Time:
Full-Time Start Date:
Immediate Subject: Grade: Organization:
KIPP Houston Public SchoolsPreferred Locations: Contact: Email: JOB TITLE:
Statewide Managing Director of KIPP Through College and CareerABOUT KIPP TEXAS PUBLIC SCHOOLSBackground
Founded in Houston in 1994, KIPP has become a national leader in the movement to provide all children with access to an exemplary education and the academic and character skills necessary to thrive in and graduate from college, positively impact their communities, and lead choice-filled lives.
In 2018, KIPP schools in Austin, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston, and San Antonio joined forces to become KIPP Texas Public Schools, a nonprofit public charter school network, accelerating student academic outcomes and impact more students across Texas. As a unified, statewide organization, KIPP Texas can more effectively leverage the talent, resources, instructional expertise, financial strength, and advocacy in the public charter school movement, in order to have an even larger impact with educationally underserved communities across the state.
In the 2019-2020 school year, KIPP Texas Public Schools will educate more than 29,000 students in 55 schools, placing the district among the top 50 largest in the state. KIPP Texas will continue to prove what is possible for its students, communities, and state, with a goal of growing to educate 100,000 students and achieving a 75% college graduation rate for alumni.
KIPP Texas is grounded in five Core Values as its cultural "North Star":
As a Team & Family, we:
Persist with Purpose
KIPP Texas is part of the national KIPP network of 224 college-preparatory public charter schools educating early childhood, elementary, middle, and high school students. KIPP schools are part of the free public school system and enrollment is open to all students. Nationwide, KIPP students complete four-year college at a rate of 36 percent, comparable to the national average for all students and approximately three times higher than the average of students from low-income families.
You can see all our job opportunities at https://kipptexas.org/join-our-team/ .The Opportunity
The KIPP Through College Team exists in our four regions within KIPP Texas Public Schools. The current work with KIPP Through College is focused on the successful support and partnerships for our KIPPsters to be prepared to go to and through college and lead fulfilling lives. The KIPP Through College team will also take on developing a career readiness strategy to support all of our KIPPsters.
KIPP Texas believes we can better support our students and alumni by operating KIPP Through College statewide. Thus, we are seeking a visionary, strategic leader to establish how we work as a statewide team. The KIPP Texas Managing Director of KTC will be responsible for the development and execution of a centralized, statewide KTC strategy.
Key strategic opportunities are:
- Maximizing the college enrollment and college success rates of KIPPsters across the state
- Developing an integrated college and career success strategy that affirms all KIPPsters on their paths to postsecondary and career success
- Strengthening and reimagining our approach to postsecondary support to ensure our model scales in a financially sustainable way as the number of KIPP Texas alumni grows.
In addition, the KIPP Texas Managing Director of KTC will be responsible for working with other KIPP Texas statewide and regional leaders, ensuring close coordination between KIPP Texas high schools and KTC teams, building strategic partnerships, and implementing rigorous progress monitoring processes to improve KIPP Through College performance.
The KIPP Texas Managing Director of KTC will: lead a team of four regional KTC Directors, who in turn supervise a statewide team who manage regional staff; manage and develop the KTC Director team; and maintain strong relationships to ensure robust collaboration statewide. The KIPP Texas Managing Director of KTC will directly report to a Chief to be later announced and to the KIPP Texas CEO in the interim.
This position may be based out of the Austin, Dallas, Houston, or San Antonio offices.Illustrative Key Responsibilities
Skills and Qualifications
- Setting and executing the strategic vision for the KIPP Texas KIPP through College program. Develop and execute a short-term and long-term KTC strategy to ensure ever-greater numbers of KIPP Texas alumni are earning BA degrees and that more KIPP Texas alumni are progressing into strong first jobs and progressing into fulfilling, economically independent lives in upwardly-mobile careers.
- Aligning our KTC efforts statewide to fully leverage our scale and accelerate learning: Establish structures and processes to ensure tight alignment among the four regional KTC teams and in coordination with regional superintendents and the statewide academics team. We believe more consistency in practice and approach will enable us to learn faster and drive stronger outcomes. Initial focus areas may include (but are limited to): increased standardization in our approach to college and postsecondary counseling; working with the KIPP Texas MD of High Schools to create a more cohesive program between KIPP Texas high schools and KIPP Through College (e.g., shared goals for college counseling outcomes, implementing a college knowledge success and career success curriculum); and exploring opportunities for synergies in our alumni advising efforts.
- Driving execution, ensuring continuous improvement, and rigorously monitoring progress against critical milestones, performance indicators, and outcomes: Build robust systems to monitor progress throughout the strategy, including setting annual metrics for statewide and regional measurements, in partnership with regional KTC Directors and the Strategy team. Integrate Career and College Readiness KPIs into statewide progress monitoring dashboards and balanced scorecard. Determine how best to present KTC data and updates on KTC strategy to our four regional boards and state boards, in partnership with the regional superintendents and KIPP Texas CEO.
- Leading statewide strategic partnership opportunities and engaging key stakeholders: Establish new partnerships and maintain and steward existing partnerships and build strong stakeholder relationships, both internally and externally to KIPP Texas. Determine opportunities for statewide partnership work as part of efforts to align and centralize KTC.
- Problem-Solving Leadership: Work collaboratively to formulate hypotheses; gather and synthesize data; develop and assess alternatives; and build the final case for recommendations.
Compensation and Benefits
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited four-year university.
- Minimum of 6-8 years of work experience in a project management, strategy, education, or consulting-type role preferred.
- Minimum of 6-8 years leading and managing a high-performing team
- Experience with college access and, ideally, familiarity with the Texas college access landscape
- Demonstration of entrepreneurial mindset including strong critical questioning skills, innovation and desire to continuously improve.
- Excellent analytical and critical thinking skills.
- Excellent listening and verbal communication skills.
- Strong stakeholder management and service-orientation.
- Self-directed and results-oriented, demonstrating initiative and follow-through.
- Experience with charter or charter-like schools and/or with students in low-income urban environments is preferred, not required.
- Experience with Salesforce or similar-type student database systems
- Ability to model KIPP's values at all times.
Salary is based on years of experience, degree of education, and level of expertise. A competitive benefits package is also offered.ABOUT KIPP
KIPP is a non-profit network of 200 college-preparatory, public charter schools educating elementary, middle, and high school students. We believe that all students will learn and achieve at high levels if given the opportunity. Our mission is to help students develop the knowledge, skills, and character strengths they need to seize those opportunities. Great education transforms lives.KIPP provides equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees.As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status or disability.