Performs variety of technical and analytical duties in the areas of accounting and budget requiring the application of financial and analytical principles of governmental accounting, cost accounting, project accounting, and budgetary control. Performs accounting, complex budgetary analysis, fiscal research and related work for administrative and school based budgets. Works closely schools and departments to assist in development and management budgets. Monitors compliance with standards and regulatory requirements.
- Assists with developing, recommending, and interpreting the application of financial and budgetary policies, regulations, and procedures.
- Coordinates and assists Baltimore City Public Schools personnel with management plans for specific budget and expenditure allocations.
- Prepares budgets, monitors budgeted revenue/expenditures to actual revenue/expenditures and prepares budget amendments as required.
- Audits and analyzes accounts and prepares reports on various phases of fiscal activities by compiling, computing, and comparing figures of various accounts.
- Plans and performs a variety of budget/expenditure projections and fiscal simulations, analyses and calculations. Conducts special cost studies and analyses.
- Initiates, completes, evaluates and validates a variety of State, local and federal reports and financial statements.
- Prepares journal entries along with supporting documentation.
- Analyzes financial and budgetary statements; identifies trends and concerns with recommended solutions.
- Analyzes and evaluates existing manual and automated financial system design, computer-generated financial reports and other automated programs integrated with the primary financial system for redesign, modification, and/or modernization.
- Prepares special financial reports and statistical analyses as directed including cash flow, legality of expenditures and budget procedures.
- Develops and maintains comprehensive statistical data and prepares periodic budgetary reports and statements.
- Functions as a financial manager/advisor for Baltimore City Public Schools departments.
- Prepares and delivers detailed written and oral reports and presentations, including graphics as appropriate.
- Monitors compliance with legislation and other legal requirements throughout the budget cycle.
- Performs and promotes all activities in compliance with equal employment and nondiscrimination policies; follows federal laws, state laws, school board policies and the professional standards.
- Bachelor's degree in accounting, finance, business administration or related field
- Four years experience in accounting, budgeting and/or financial management. Specific experience using Oracle Financials which demonstrates a thorough knowledge of Oracle General Ledger, Accounts Receivable and Fixed Assets preferred
- Additional graduate level education may be substituted on a year for year basis for up to two years of the experience requirement.
- CPA preferred
- Thorough knowledge of accounting and routine auditing practices and procedures
- Knowledge of current business practices, procedures, theory and analysis techniques
- Knowledge of funding and cost accounting system at Baltimore City Public Schools or comparable school system
- Thorough knowledge of financial and budget analysis
- Effective verbal and written communication and presentation skills
- Ability to prepare clear, concise and comprehensive reports and recommendations and to express accounting and budgeting principles and concepts to non-financial managers
- Ability to use statistical concepts and methods and to mathematically analyze expenditure patterns, forecast revenues, cost out various types of proposals, and analyze computer reports for potential problems.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with Baltimore City Public Schools personnel and external agencies
- Proficient in the use of technical computer applications, including Microsoft Office Professional Suite, particularly Excel and Access
- Ability to manage accounting data analyses and reporting using specialized computer applications for financial management such as Oracle
Full time or Part time Full time
Qualified candidates for the above position must submit the following:
- Completed online application
- Resume that clearly demonstrates the above minimum qualifications. It is important that you include all experiences and education related to the position to which you are applying.
- Upload copies of all transcripts -undergraduate, graduate
- Must provide three (3) professional references to include: name, title, business address, e-mail address and phone number
- All documentation/certification necessary (scanned copies accepted) to substantiate minimum qualifications; must be uploaded into application
Benefits -- This position is eligible for benefits. To review the available options please see the information relevant to the union for this position by viewing the following link: http://www.baltimorecityschools.org
Baltimore City Public Schools is an equal opportunity employer and encourages resumes from bi-lingual or multi-lingual candidates.
Baltimore City Public Schools does not discriminate in any aspect of employment on the basis of race, color, ancestry or national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or age. For inquiries regarding the nondiscrimination policies, please contact the Equal Employment Opportunity Manager, 200 E. North Avenue, Room 208, Baltimore, MD 21202; 410-396-8542 (phone); 410-396-2955 (fax).This position is not affiliated with any bargaining unit.