Assists Environmental Compliance Managers in coordination of programs and activities in the Office of Inspections & Environmental Compliance. Responsible for assisting managers in ensuring City Schools is following all Federal, state and local regulations related to environmental health and safety, in particularly issues pertaining to air quality, water pollution, and lead-based paint and lead-based paint abatement. Ensures that related policies and procedures are being followed, and behavior in the organization meets the established standards of conduct and performance. Functions as internal resources for the facilitation of environmental compliance inspections, and monitoring areas of air quality, clean water standards, asbestos, lead and occupational safety and health. Reporting direct compliance issues to appropriate resources for investigation and resolution.
- Develops, initiates, maintains, and revises environmental health and safety policies and procedures and related implemented activities; to ensure City Schools is following Federal, State, and local environmental regulations, with added focus in the areas of air quality, clean water standards, asbestos, lead and occupational safety and health.
- Collaborates with other departments and governmental agencies to direct compliance issues to appropriate existing channels for investigation and resolution.
- Responds to alleged violations of rules, regulations, policies, procedures, and Standards of Conduct by evaluating or recommending the initiation of investigative procedures as assigned by management.
- Reviews projects to determine that compliance issues/concerns within the organization are being appropriately evaluated, investigated and resolved.
- Monitors, and as necessary, coordinates compliance activities of other departments to remain abreast of the status of all compliance activities and to identify trends as assigned by management.
- Identifies potential areas of compliance vulnerability and risk.
- Develops and implements corrective action plans for resolution of problematic issues and provides general guidance on how to avoid or deal with similar situations in the future.
- Provides reports on a regular basis, and as directed or requested, to support Environmental Compliance Managers.
- Provides reports of violations or potential violations as documented in the computerized maintenance management system to duly authorized enforcement agencies as appropriate and/or required.
- Researches, develops, recommends and implements, as necessary, best practices procedures and programs related to environmental compliance
- Works with Human Capital and others as appropriate to assist with the development and implementation of an effective compliance training program, including appropriate introductory training for new employees as well as ongoing training for all employees and managers. Trains staff and other individuals as needed regarding environmental health and safety matters.
- Monitors the performance of the Compliance Program and related activities on a continuing basis, taking appropriate steps to improve its effectiveness.
- Participates in required continual education and re-certification programs to stay current on related laws, regulations, best practices and trends in the respective industries.
- Performs and promotes all activities in compliance with equal employment and nondiscrimination policies; follows federal laws, state laws, school board's policies and the professional standards.
- Customer Focus ? Commits to meeting the expectations and requirements of internal and external stakeholders; acts with stakeholders in mind; values importance of providing high-quality customer service.
- Interpersonal Skills ? Builds constructive and effective relationships; uses diplomacy and tact to diffuse tense situations; can put others at ease and disarm hostility.
- Managing Relationships ? Responds and relates well to people in all positions; is seen as a team player and is cooperative; looks for common ground and solves problems for the good of all.
- Functional/Technical Skills ? Possesses required functional and technical knowledge and skill to accomplish job tasks at a high level; demonstrates active interest and ability to enhance and apply new functional skills.
Maximum Salary 30.86
Minimum Salary 23.97
- Bachelor's degree and/or certification in environmental health. Degree must be from an accredited college or institution.
- Three years related experience in environmental health, safety compliance and/or inspection including one year in a leadership capacity.
- Other equivalent combinations of education and experience which provided the required knowledge, skills, and abilities may be considered.
- Valid Maryland driver?s license.
- Knowledge of operational, financial, quality assurance, and human capital producers and regulations.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to effectively coordinate and conduct administrative responsibilities across the system in order to reduce risks to students, employees and the public.
- Ability to effectively summarize and interpret complex requirement, data and reports for a variety of audiences.
- Ability to follow written requirements exactly and to organize compliance files as per the Federal, state and local regulations.
- Proficient in the use of computers and related software systems including Microsoft Office.
Full time or Part time Full time
Qualified candidates for the above position must submit the following:
- Completed online application
- Resume that clearly demonstrates the above minimum qualifications. It is important that you include all experiences and education related to the position to which you are applying.
- Upload copies of all transcripts -undergraduate, graduate and all MSDE Certifications
- Must provide three (3) professional references to include: name, title, business address, e-mail address and phone number
- All documentation/certification necessary (scanned copies accepted) to substantiate minimum qualifications; must be uploaded into application
- All documentation must be scanned and uploaded to application
Benefits -- This position is eligible for benefits. To review the available options please see the information relevant to the union for this position by viewing the following link: http://www.baltimorecityschools.org
Baltimore City Public Schools does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry or national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or age in its employment, programs and activities and provides equal access to the Boy Scouts of America and other designated youth groups. For inquiries regarding the nondiscrimination policies, please contact Equal Opportunity Manager, Title IX Coordinator Equal Employment Opportunity and Title IX Compliance Office 200 E. North Avenue, Room 208 Baltimore, MD 21202; 410-396-8542 (phone); 410-396-2955 (fax).This position is affiliated with the City Union of Baltimore (CUB) bargaining unit.