Manages the preparation and production of the various Baltimore City Public Schools payrolls, ensuring that maintenance deadlines are met as scheduled. Manages the preparation and distribution of payroll related reports. Provides guidance and assistance in the creation and maintenance of payroll data files.
- Ensures the security and integrity of City Schools? payroll systems.
- Manages the payroll specialist staff in compliance with federal, state, and local payroll tax laws and regulatory standards for both employee and employer. In the absence of the Director, provides oversight and management of Office of Payroll.
- Ensures accurate and timely posting of payroll entries and accruals for entry into general ledger, as well as monthly account reconciliation.
- Manages the sick leave conversion process.
- Manages the pay all year annual enrollment and wage reconciliation.
- Manages the timeliness and accuracy of all quarterly and year-end reporting, including W-2, W-2C, W-3, 941, tax deposits, and internal and external audits.
- Ensures payroll compliance for all wage attachments including federal and state tax levies, bankruptcy orders, child support/family court orders, garnishments, and Consumer Protection Act requirements.
- Ensures accurate classification of all employees, including independent contractors, statutory employees, and leased employees.
- Manages the handling of agency tracers from notice through final resolution.
- Manages payroll input procedures and pre-process balancing, payroll output reconciliation and proofs, and immediate correction of all errors and resolution of all payroll inquiries.
- Plans and controls staffing, and performs other human resources, finance, and payroll related functions for assigned employees.
- Provides appropriate supervision, mentoring, and professional growth and development opportunities to assigned staff. Such responsibilities include staff performance reviews and the development and implementation of professional growth plans to include keeping abreast of current developments, literature, and technical sources of information.
- Ensures the provision of quality products and services. Leads staff in the design, development, implementation, monitoring, and documentation of quality and reliability improvement plans and procedures. Confers with and advises subordinates on administrative policies and procedures, technical problems, priorities, and methods.
- Performs and promotes all activities in compliance with equal employment and nondiscrimination policies; follows federal laws, state laws, school board?s policies, and the professional standards.
- Customer Focus ? Commits to meeting the expectations and requirements of internal and external stakeholders; acts with stakeholders in mind; values importance of providing high-quality customer service.
- Interpersonal Skills ? Builds constructive and effective relationships; uses diplomacy and tact to diffuse tense situations; can put others at ease and disarm hostility.
- Managing Relationships ? Responds and relates well to people in all positions; is seen as a team player and is cooperative; looks for common ground and solves problems for the good of all.
Functional/Technical Skills ? Possesses required functional and technical knowledge and skill to accomplish job tasks at a high level; demonstrates active interest and ability to enhance and apply new functional skills.
Maximum Salary 113558.00
Minimum Salary 97335.00
- Bachelor?s degree in Accounting, Finance, or related field preferred. Degree must be from an accredited college or institution.
- Certified Payroll Professional (CPP) status with The American Payroll Association desired.
- Seven years of payroll experience. A minimum of three years of supervisory/administrative/leadership experience in a payroll structure including financial management experience is required.
- Knowledge of federal, state, and local wage and hour laws, including Fair Labor Standard Act, minimum wage, and child labor.
- Knowledge of union and non-union payroll processing, operations, and records retention, and associated reporting requirements.
- Interpersonal skills that ensure effective team building.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to make persuasive presentations.
- Proficient in the knowledge and use of technical computer applications, including proven experience in payroll processing operations using the Oracle System.
Full time or Part time Full time
Qualified candidates for the above position must submit the following:
- Completed online application
- Resume that clearly demonstrates the above minimum qualifications. It is important that you include all experiences and education related to the position to which you are applying.
- Upload copies of all transcripts -undergraduate, graduate and all MSDE Certifications
- Must provide three (3) professional references to include: name, title, business address, e-mail address and phone number
- All documentation/certification necessary (scanned copies accepted) to substantiate minimum qualifications; must be uploaded into application
- All documentation must be scanned and uploaded to application
Benefits -- This position is eligible for benefits. To review the available options please see the information relevant to the union for this position by viewing the following link: http://www.baltimorecityschools.org
Baltimore City Public Schools does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry or national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information, or age in its employment, programs and activities and provides equal access to the Boy Scouts of America and other designated youth groups. For inquiries regarding the nondiscrimination policies, please contact Equal Opportunity Manager, Title IX Coordinator Equal Employment Opportunity and Title IX Compliance Office 200 E. North Avenue, Room 208 Baltimore, MD 21202; 410-396-8542 (phone); 410-396-2955 (fax).This position is not affiliated with any bargaining unit.