** This position will remain open until filled **
Title: Seasonal Groundskeeper
(May - November)
Reports to: Facilities Director
School: District Wide
Status: Overtime eligible
MPEA Bargaining Unit
Hourly Wage: $13.70 - $14.54 DOE Purpose
Under the direct supervision of the Facilities Director, this position involves work in all phases of grounds keeping and maintenance including, but not limited to: lawn care, parking lot and sidewalk maintenance and preparation for outdoor athletic events. Essential Job Duties
Knowledge Skills Abilities
- Perform grounds keeping services including, but not limited to mowing, edging, trimming, weed control, fertilization, trimming, pruning and regular trash pick-up.
- Responsible for preparation of fields, track, courts and grounds for athletic extra-curricular and other public events as directed.
- Lawns: Mow, trim, edge, sweep (power or manual) thatch, cut and roll sod, insect control, fertilize and water.
- Landscaped areas: Weed, mulch, fertilize, thin, prune, bark application and water.
- Trees and shrubs: Prune, trim, weed control, fertilize, new plantings, and water.
- Play areas and other assignments: Seasonal care and improvements, clean catch basins, repair drain lines, smooth and grade terrain, brush and stone removal, dead or down tree removal, fence and gate repair, and maintenance of irrigation systems.
- Clean grounds equipment and perform routine service.
- Monitor and maintain in safe condition all vehicles, and grounds equipment.
- Report all incidents of damage or vandalism to supervisor. Repair/remove damage or vandalism in a timely manner ensuring security of property.
- Seasonal specific: Perform snow removal services as warranted and shall be assigned by the supervisor. In addition, monitor and maintain walkways and parking areas in a snow and ice free a condition as reasonably possibly on a daily basis.
- May assist custodial or maintenance crews during summer months, vacations and holidays as assigned by Supervisor.
- Immediately reports all unsafe and/or unhealthy conditions in his/her area to the Facilities Director.
- Maintain high standards of confidentiality, attendance, and flexibility while working cooperatively with Supervisors and other employees.
- Make daily inspections of vehicle assigned to drive and maintains a good driving record.
- Maintain punctual and regular attendance.
- Observe strict confidentiality regarding student and personnel information.
- Must be able to calculate the application rates for fertilizers.
- All other responsibilities as shall be assigned by the employee's supervisor.
- Knowledge of safety practices and procedures.
- Knowledge to analyze situations to define issues and draw conclusions.
- Ability to follow oral or written work orders from supervisor, and to coordinate work with principal and others.
- Ability to read, write and speak English fluently.
- Ability to describe orally or in writing cleaning, maintenance or repair problems as needed
- Ability to be flexible to work with others in a wide variety of circumstances.
- Ability to work with a diversity of individuals and/or groups and utilize specific, job-related equipment.
- Ability to problem solve to analyze issue.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with students, the public, and staff members.
- Ability to maintain cooperative working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Ability to manage time and responsibilities, adapt to changing work priorities, communicate with diverse groups, maintaining confidentiality, meet deadlines and schedules.
- Ability to set priorities, work as part of a team and work with and manage frequent interruptions.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of student matters.
- Ability to effectively communicate with students, parents, and staff.
- Ability to perform duties with awareness of all District requirements and Board policies.
- Ability to work outdoors in inclement weather conditions to perform the essential functions of the position.
- Skill in adhering to safety practices.
- Skill in preparing and maintaining accurate records and using pertinent software applications.
- Any combination of training, education and experience equivalent to graduation from high school.
Necessary special requirements:
- Successful experience performing grounds keeping duties.
- Successful experience in building and grounds maintenance and repair.
- Montana Driver's license or the ability to obtain license within three months of hire date.
Physical and Mental Demands and Work Hazards
- Follows all applicable safety rules, procedures and regulations governing the proper use of tools and power equipment used in the performance of duties.
- Wears appropriate safety gear, including masks.
- Performs routine grounds and maintenance work.
- Regularly works outside and exposed to varying temperature extremes.
- Occasional travel/mobility between schools, or between schools and the Administration office, may be required.
- Ability to meet deadlines with severe time constraints.
- The environment can be stressful due to the nature of the work.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate.
- Regularly required to stand and walk.
- Occasional lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling; some climbing and balancing; significant stooping, kneeling, crouching, and/or crawling; and significant fine finger dexterity.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Required to be able to hear conversations in loud and quiet environments.
- May be required to lift or carry 50-100 pounds on a frequent basis with or without an accommodation.
- Work from a stepladder at a height of ten(10) feet as well as from aerial lifts or scaffolding with or without an accommodation.
- Guidance and reinforcement are usually available.
- The employee frequently works within time constraints and must maintain attentiveness intensity.
- Frequently involved in interactions, which require oral and written communications.
- Exercises flexibility and the ability to shift from one task to another.
- Occasionally works near moving mechanical parts.
- Effective hearing and speech abilities.
- Work area is generally a hazard free environment.
The duties, physical demands, work-environment characteristics, and mental/motor demands described within this vacancy announcement are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job with compliance with the American with Disabilities Act Amendment Act (ADAAA) and is not an exhaustive list of the duties performed for this position. Additional duties are performed by the individuals currently holding this position and additional duties may be assigned. Contact Information
- Diane Letendre
- PO BOX 166
- Belgrade, Montana 59714