CHILD NUTRITION CAFETERIA WORKERSWAIN COUNTY SCHOOLS JOB DESCRIPTIONReports to Child Nutrition Manager NATURE OF WORK To assist with a variety of cooking, baking, preparing and serving of food items for general consumption by students and school personnel and to maintain facilities and equipment in a safe and sanitary condition. Operate the district's computerized point of sale system and handle cash and check transactions. Performs routine cashiering tasks in a school cafeteria and maintain a clean and safe work area.ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Attends in-service training, workshops, etc. for the purpose of gathering information required to perform job functions.
- Cleans linens, utensils, equipment, and storage, food preparation and serving areas for the purpose of maintaining required sanitary conditions.
- Evaluates prepared food for flavor, appearance, and temperature for the purpose of providing items that will be accepted by students and staff.
- Inspects food items and/or supplies for the purpose of verifying quantity, quality and specifications of orders and/or complying with mandated health standards.
- Inventories food, condiments and supplies for the purpose of ensuring availability of items required for meeting projected menu requirements.
- Maintains equipment, storage, food preparation and serving areas in a sanitary condition for the purpose of complying with current health standards.
- Maintains records and reports (e.g. counting and recording the amount of leftovers, number of opened cans, student lunch balances, collection and reconciliation of money, informing students of their lunch balances, etc. ) for the purpose of keeping an accurate record of food used and student accounts.
- Merchandises food and beverage items for the purpose of serving them to students and staff in an efficient manner.
- Monitors kitchen and cafeteria areas (e.g. proper charging procedures for items taken, employee safety, working procedures, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring a safe and sanitary working environment.
- Oversees the preparation, cooking, and serving of food (e.g. regular food items, special diets, students with allergies, etc.) for the purpose of providing students and staff with food of high nutritious quality as well as meeting individual needs.
- Performs functions of other nutritional service positions as requested by manager (e.g. cashiering, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring adequate staff coverage within site nutritional services operations.
- Prepares food and beverage items according to standardized recipes and established food preparation procedures (e.g. regular food items, deli sandwiches, baked goods, etc.) for the purpose of meeting mandated nutritional and projected meal requirements.
- Receives food items and/or supplies and places them in designated areas utilizing temperature requirements and food spoilage guidelines for the purpose of ensuring availability of items required for meeting projected menu requirements.
- Reports needed supplies and equipment malfunctions for the purpose of notifying cafeteria manager of needed items and repair and/or replacement.
- Serves the appropriate number of food items for the purpose of meeting mandated nutritional requirements and/or requests of students and school personnel.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Performs other related duties as assigned for the purpose of ensuring the efficient and effective functioning of the work unit.
SUGGESTED TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE
- Ability to adhering to safety practices; quality cooking; operating equipment such as telephones; and operating equipment found in a commercial kitchen.
- Ability perform basic math; read and follow instructions; and understand multi-step written and oral instructions.
- Specific knowledge-based competencies required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: safety and sanitation practices and procedures; and quantity food preparation and handling.
- Ability is required to schedule activities; collate data; and use job-related equipment.
- Flexibility is required to work with others; work with data utilizing specific, defined processes; and operate equipment using standardized methods.
- Ability is also required to work with a diversity of individuals; work with specific, job-related data; and utilize job-related equipment.
- Some problem solving may be required to identify issues and select action plans. Problem solving with data requires following prescribed guidelines; and problem solving with equipment is limited to moderate.
- Specific ability-based competencies required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: working as part of a team; speaking and/or signaling people to convey or exchange information; handle a variety of items, kitchen and office equipment; and working with interruptions.
- Must be able to work under direct supervision using standardized procedures; providing information and/or advising others; and operating within a defined budget.
- The usual and customary methods of performing the job's functions require the following physical demands: significant lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling; some climbing and balancing; frequent stooping, kneeling, crouching, and/or crawling; and significant fine finger dexterity. Generally the job requires 5% sitting, 50% walking, and 45% standing. The job is performed under some temperature extremes.
- High school diploma or GED.
- Experience in school food service or related field is desirable
Job Categories: Instructional Support > Substitute
Support Staff > Food Service Equal Opportunity Employer
0 Contact Information
- Thomas Dills
- 50 Main Street
- Bryson City, North Carolina 28713