SPECIAL EDUCATION TEACHER Reports To:
PrincipalTerm of Employment:
10 Months (School Year Calendar)Performance Evaluation:
Performance to be evaluated annually by the school principalEducation/Qualifications:
4 year Degree, preferably in Education (Special Education)
NC Teaching License or be eligible to obtain teaching license
Experience in working with students with disabilitiesPosition Summary:
The Licensed Special Education Teacher develops and provides specialized instruction to meet the unique needs of students with disabilities; Evaluates and assesses student progress against instructional objectives; follows State mandated due process procedures and functions as IEP Manager to assigned students.Essential functions of the job may include but are not limited to the following:
• Provides research-based specialized instruction to address the instructional goals and objectives contained within each student's IEP.
• Assesses student progress and determines the need for additional reinforcement or adjustments to instructional techniques.
• Employs various teaching techniques, methods and principles of learning to enable students to meet their IEP goals.
• Develops and implements annual Individualized Educational Program (IEP) plans for students to include: present levels of educational performance, special education needs, instructional goals and objectives, and the special education and related services
required to meet those goals.
• Schedules team meetings and works cooperatively with IEP team members and others in developing instructional goals and strategies.
• Coordinates the delivery of special education services in each student's IEP.
• Creates a positive learning experience with emphasis in individualized instruction using appropriate sources including Ipads.
• Serves as primary contact for the parent.
• Conducts special education evaluations and reevaluations.
• Provides direction, supervision and evaluation of teacher assistant(s) as directed.
• Complies with School Board policies and all state/federal rules and regulations.
• Completes all district and state reporting requirements.Other functions of the job include but are not limited to the following:
• Establishes and maintains student control and discipline in the classroom, school premises or during school activities.
• Employs and implements a classroom structure and consistency to encourage student responsibility, cooperation and mutual respect consistent with district policies and procedures.
• Collaborates and consults with educational professionals and community service providers (i.e., social services, public health, medical providers etc.) regarding the needs of students.
• Provides consultation to regular education teachers regarding classroom adaptions, instructional modifications, adaptive equipment, behavior intervention plans and other similar instructional interventions to meet the needs of students with disabilities.
• Performs other duties of a like or similar nature as assigned.Knowledge Skills and Ability Required:
• Minimum 4-yr degree in teaching from an accredited institution in the appropriate special education area.
• Current North Carolina teaching license in required content area.
• Thorough knowledge of the principles, practices and procedures of special education and specialty area.
• Thorough knowledge of the principles and methodology of effective teaching of students with disabilities.
• Thorough knowledge of school rules, regulations and procedures; ability to establish and maintain standards of behavior.
• Ability to deliver and articulate oral presentations and written reports.
• Ability to effectively analyze needs and problems objectively.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with students, parents, staff, administration and the general public.
• Perform all other related work delegated or required to accomplish the objectives of the total school program.
• Knowledge of relevant technology including the use of technology such as Ipads to individualize instruction.
• Meet professional teacher education requirements of school district and state.
• Knowledge and skills in working with students with a variety of disabilities (intellectual, ADHD, serious emotional, learning, etc.).
• Must have the ability to report to work on a regular and punctual basis.Physical Requirements
Regularly required to sit, stand, walk, talk, hear, operate a computer and other office equipment, reach with hands and arms, and must occasionally lift, move and/or support up to 50 pounds (and/or up to adult size body weight with two-to-three person lift). Position can require some degree of physical interaction with students who have difficulty controlling physical behavior.
Job Category: Special Education > General Special Education Equal Opportunity Employer
0 Contact Information
- Glen Buck
- 1717 W 5th Street
- Greenville, North Carolina 27834-1698