Bus Mechanic I REPORTS TO:
Transportation Director BEGINNING DATE:
Open Until Filled NATURE OF WORK
An employee in this class performs semi-skilled duties in the operation, repair and maintenance of the vehicles in the school transportation program. Manuals and computer diagnosing software are provided as resources for new assignments while other tasks are performed based on experience. Minor problems may be resolved; most others are referred to a supervisor. Errors may be quickly revealed or may be located only by involvement of others. Most errors may be easily remedied and not costly. The employee receives limited supervision.KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
EDUCATION AND TRAINING:
- Working knowledge of vehicle operation and maintenance
- Skill to perform manual tasks associated with engine maintenance, tire replacement, fuel dispensing, washing vehicles, etc.
- Skill in operating various machines in repairing vehicles
- Ability to locate problems
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions
- Working knowledge of computers using windows operating system
Some experience and training with vehicle operation, maintenance and repair is preferred.TERM OF EMPLOYMENT:
Salary Grade 59FLSA Status:
Fills fuel tanks on school buses and school-owned vehicles. Lubricates moving parts of vehicle chassis. Checks, adds and replaces brake and steering fluids. Checks, adds and changes engine oil. Installs air and oil filters. Replaces wiper blades and fan belts. Rotates, replaces and repairs tires. Replaces brake linings. Cleans, adjusts and changes spark plugs. Drains and cleans radiators. Inspects exterior and interior of vehicles for defects. Removes minor dents. Paints buses and vehicles with spray equipment. Tests headlight alignment and makes necessary adjustments. Cleans carburetors, ignition systems, and electrical components. Tests and replaces batteries as needed. Checks and repairs doors and lifts. Repairs seat belts. Repairs broken windows. Performs other duties as specified by the Maintenance Director. PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Ability to physically perform minor repairs.
- Ability to lift moderate to heavy weight (40-50 pounds), stand, walk, run, bend, stoop, push, pull, reach, and climb ladders, for extended periods of time.
The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees to this job.
Interested individuals are to complete an online application which can be found at www.onslow.k12.nc.us
Onslow County Schools does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, or age in its programs and activities.
Job Category: Career Education > Industrial Mechanics Equal Opportunity Employer
0 Contact Information
- CJ Korenek
- 200 Broadhurst Road
- Jacksonville, North Carolina 28540-3551