Head Coach - Speech, Drama, and DebateReports to:
Belgrade High SchoolStart Date:
October 1, 2020Note:
Position will run from October 1, 2020 - January 30, 2021.
Schedule to be determined. Essential Job Duties
Knowledge Skills Abilities
- Coach and judge at competitions during the academic year.
- Direct, review, and edit student research.
- Listen to and provide feedback to students by listening to video recordings of debates, practice speeches, and rebuttal reworks.
- Engage students in discussions about arguments and strategy.
- Collaborate with the Director on decision-making and planning as needed.
- Support appropriate student behavior as outlined in the student handbook.
- Minor administrative tasks.
- Knowledge to analyze situations to define issues and draw conclusions.
- Ability to schedule activities, meetings, and/or events, gather, collate, and/or classify data and use job-related equipment.
- Ability to be flexible to work with others in a wide variety of circumstances.
- Ability to read, write and speak English fluently
- Ability to work with a diversity of individuals and/or groups and utilize specific, job-related equipment.
- Ability to problem solve to analyze issues.
- Ability to understand and carry out oral and written instructions.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with students, the public, and staff members.
- Ability to maintain cooperative working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Ability to manage time and responsibilities, adapt to changing work priorities, communicate with diverse groups, maintaining confidentiality, meet deadlines and schedules.
- Ability to set priorities, work as part of a team and work with and manage frequent interruptions.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of student matters.
- Ability to effectively communicate with students, parents, and staff.
- Ability to perform duties with awareness of all District requirements and Board policies.
- Skill in adhering to safety practices.
Successful experience in high school or college policy/cross-examination style debate.Experience researching/cutting positions used in policy debate.Familiarity with a variety of contemporary policy debate arguments and styles. Preferred Qualifications
A record of competitive success as a debater and/or coachExperience coaching other high school speech and debate formats Necessary special requirements:
Physical and Mental Demands and Work Hazards
- Montana Driver's license or the ability to obtain license within three months of hire date.
- Ability to travel to local and national high school debate tournaments with the team, including those falling on evenings and weekends.
- Performs routine work.
- Regularly works inside with minimal temperature variations.
- Ability to meet deadlines with severe time constraints.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate.
- Frequently required to sit; occasionally walk and stand.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Required to be able to hear conversations in loud and quiet environments.
- May be required to lift or carry up to 20 pounds on an infrequent basis with or without an accommodation.
- Guidance and reinforcement are usually unavailable.
- The employee frequently works within time constraints and must maintain attentiveness intensity.
- Frequently involved in interactions which require oral and written communications.
- Exercises flexibility and the ability to shift from one task to another.
- Occasional travel/mobility between schools, or between schools and the Administration office, may be required.
- Occasionally works near moving mechanical parts.
Job Category: Athletics & Activities > Coaching Contact Information
- Diane Letendre
- PO BOX 166
- Belgrade, Montana 59714