PAY GRADE :
Supplemental Salary Schedule FLSA STATUS :
Exempt POSITION OBJECTIVE :
Position is responsible for coaching student athletes in game strategies and techniques to prepare them for athletic competition. Position motivates student athletes to develop an appreciation of the sport.
B Sports: Badminton, Cross Country, Dive, Golf, Sand Volleyball, Soccer, Swim, Tennis, Track, Wrestling. DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES :
(These duties are a representative sample; position assignments may vary.)
• Holds organizational meetings for team prospects and encourages potential athletes to participate in the sport.
• Assesses player's skills and assigns team positions.
• Develops a regular practice schedule and organizes practice time to provide both individual and team development.
• Works with the athletic director in scheduling facilities for practices and competition.
• Assigns duties to assistant coaches as necessary.
• Coaches and instructs players, individually or in groups, regarding the rules, regulations, equipment, and techniques of the sport.
• Observes players, during competition and practice to determine the needs for individual or team improvement.
• Determines game strategy based on the team's capabilities.
• Establishes and maintains standards of pupil behavior and provides proper supervision of athletes at all times.
• Monitors the academic performance of team members to ensure that eligibility requirements are met; and encourages student athletes to maintain a high academic standard.
• Follows established procedures in the event of an athlete's injury.
• Conferences with parents/guardians, as necessary, regarding the athletic performance of their student.
• Follows state, regional, AIA and district regulations governing the athletic program.
• Models sportsmanlike behavior and maintains appropriate conduct towards players, officials, and spectators.
• Acts as a team representative and promotes the sport by communicating with the booster clubs, service clubs, and other organizations.
• Follows established procedures for the proper care, maintenance, requisitioning of equipment, supplies, and uniforms.
• Works with the athletic director to develop a policy for awards and submits a list of award winners at the end of the season.
• Participates in special activities to include parent's night, banquets, award nights, and pep assemblies.
• Maintains eligibility forms, emergency information, insurance records, equipment inventory, and other related records.
• Potentially drive athletes using district transportation to and from off campus games on 14 passenger Activity Bus and provide proof of insurance as requested.
• Models nondiscriminatory practices in all activities.
• Other duties as assigned by supervisor. EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE :
(positions in this class typically require):
• Bachelor's degree preferred
• Prior coaching experience preferred
• Must be at least 21 years of age. LICENSING REQUIREMENTS :
• Arizona Department of Education Teaching Certificate preferre
• Arizona Department of Public Safety Fingerprint Clearance card: required
• Fundamentals of Coaching Certificate: requiredhttps://www.nfhslearn.com/courses/61113/fundamentals-of-coaching
• Concussion in Sports Certificate: requiredhttps://www.nfhslearn.com/courses/61151/concussion-in-sports
If applicant does not have an Arizona Teaching Certificate, two additional coaching certificate are required
• First Aid, Health, and Safety: https://www.nfhslearn.com/courses/26/first-aid-health- and-safety
• Coaching (specific sport)/Teaching sports skills: https://www.nfhslearn.com/courses/61170/teaching-sports-skills
Applications submitted without all required documents attached will be considered incomplet SKILLS :
(position requirements at entry):
• Ability to maintain effective relationships with students, staff, and community.
• Knowledge of fundamental principles of the sport.
• Ability to adhere to administrative policies and receives of the program. PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS :
Positions in this class typically require: reaching, standing, walking, finger dexterity, grasping, talking, hearing, seeing and repetitive motions.
Medium Work: Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or 20 pounds of force frequently, and/or 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects. If the use of arm and/or leg controls requires exertion of forces greater than that for Sedentary Work and the worker sits most of the time, the job is rated for Light Work. NOTE :
The above job description is intended to represent only the key areas of responsibilities; specific position assignments will vary depending on the business needs of the department.
Job Category: Athletics & Activities > Coaching Contact Information
- Shaun Holmes
- 3811 N 44th Street
- Phoenix, Arizona 85018