Responsible for instruction in assigned content area(s) and age/grade level(s). Plans learning experiences that motivate students and meet their individual needs. Prepares and utilizes instructional materials that support overall curricular goals, adhering to state standards and curriculum resources available at NMSD. Uses formative assessment to inform instructional planning. Integrates critical thinking skills and literacy/signacy into lesson plans. Supports NMSD's progressive vision and mission.Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
(Other duties may be assigned)
- Prepares and implements Course Objectives, Instructional Units and Lesson Plans following established schedules and utilizing NMSD curriculum guidelines and requirements.
- Follows established schedules and utilizes NMSD curriculum guidelines and requirements.
- Plans learning experiences that motivate students and meet their individual needs. Assigns lessons and homework and provides students with feedback as appropriate.
- Prepares and utilizes instructional materials that support overall curricular goals.
- Develops and utilizes formative assessment to inform instructional planning. Administers formative and summative assessment to evaluate student progress.
- Prepares records and reports on students' progress as required. Keeps attendance records.
- Maintains discipline in the classroom.
- Meets with supervisor and/or team to discuss student progress and develop plans to address issues.
- Completes duties related to Individual Education Plans, including assessment, writing present levels of performance and goals and/or benchmarks for individual students.
- Attends required meetings and trainings.
- Participates in in-service activities provided by the school, and in self-selected professional growth activities.
- Works productively with colleagues, parents, and community members.
- Serves as a Primary Contact Teacher for students as assigned, contacting parents with updates about their child, and supporting students as needed.
- Serves on faculty committees and curricular work groups as required.
- Maintains current licensure as required by New Mexico regulations.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
Ability and commitment to represent the vision, mission, and beliefs of NMSD
- Organization- Must be organized and detail-oriented.
- Analytical- collects and aggregates data for program maintenance and improvement.
- Continuous Learning- Seeks feedback to improve performance; pursues training and development opportunities; strives to continuously build knowledge and skills.
- Job Knowledge- Competent in required job skills and knowledge; exhibits ability to learn and apply new skills; keeps abreast of current developments; requires minimal supervision; displays understanding of how job relates to others; uses resources effectively.
- Use of Technology- Adapts to new technologies; troubleshoots technological problems; uses technology to increase productivity.
- Problem Solving- Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works in group problem solving situations.
- Cooperation- Establishes and maintains effective relations; exhibits tact and consideration; offers assistance and support to co-workers; works cooperatively in group situations; works actively to resolve conflicts.
- Teamwork- Balances team and individual responsibilities; exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; gives and welcomes feedback; contributes to building a positive team spirit; supports everyone's efforts to succeed.
- Written Communication- Writes clearly and informatively; varies writing style to meet needs.
- State and Federal IDEA Compliance- exhibits knowledge of and adherence to all legal requirements related to early intervention.
- Diversity- Shows respect and sensitivity for cultural differences; educates others on the value of diversity; builds a diverse workforce.
- Ethics- Treats people with respect; keeps commitments; inspires the trust of others; works with integrity and principles; upholds organization values.
- Organizational Support- Follows policies and procedures; completes tasks correctly and on time; supports organization's goals and values.
- Adaptability- Manages competing demands.
- Personal Appearance- Dresses appropriately for position; keeps self well groomed.
- Attendance/Punctuality- Is consistently at work and on time; ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent.
- Dependability- Follows instructions, responds to management direction; takes responsibility for own actions.
- Initiative- Seeks increased responsibilities; asks for and offers help when needed.
- Quality- Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; looks for ways to improve and promote quality.
- Safety and Security- Observes safety and security procedures; determines appropriate action beyond guidelines; reports potentially unsafe conditions.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Education and /or Experiences: Possession of Bachelor's and/or Master's Degree in Deaf Education, Special Education, or related areas. Highly qualified in assigned content area, or commitment towards attaining Highly Qualified status. Possession of, or eligible for, New Mexico teacher licensure. Strong academic background in assigned content area and age/grade group, including methods of teaching.
- Certificates, Licenses, Registration: Must possess a New Mexico Teachers License with the New Mexico Public Education Department or be eligible to obtain one. Applicant has one year from hire date to obtain licensure.
Proficiency in expressive and receptive American Sign Language and written English. Ability to read, analyze, and interpret content in assigned area/grade level. Ability to explain foundations/advanced concepts in American Sign Language in order to support student learning. Ability to write reports, correspondence, and Individual Education Plans. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from students and parents.American Sign Language:
Advanced American Sign Language skills at hire are required. The applicant must be proficient in receptive and expressive American Sign Languages and able to adjust communication to match students' language and communication needs. Applicants who do not possess advanced American Sign Language skills will not be considered for this position.Mathematical Skills:
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.Computer Skills:
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications among other programs. Ability to utilize Smart Boards, iPads, laptops, and document readers in classroom situations. Able to utilize web-based resources to supplement instructional materials. Reasoning Ability:
Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form. Ability to think independently, problem solve and work with the whole team. Ability and commitment to represent the Vision, Mission and Beliefs of NMSD as both a school and an agency.Physical Demands:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is occasionally required to drive for long periods of time; stand; walk and sit. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision and peripheral vision. Work Environment:
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.Contact Information
- Candace Varela
- 1060 Cerrillos Rd
- Santa Fe, New Mexico 87505