School Based Job Title:
Instructional Support Staff FLSA Status:(Exempt/Non-exempt)
Non-exempt Reports to:
School Principal General Description:
Provides classroom support in a learning environment. Participate in the life of the classroom and the school community as a substitute for the classroom teacher. Qualifications:
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES (not limited to): Essential Job Functions:
- High School Diploma required (Associate's or Bachelor's degree preferred)
- Experience in a school setting helpful
Other Job Functions:
- Maintain a positive learning environment and respond to the individual needs of the students.
- Implement effective lessons in the absence of the regular Instructor.
- Ensure that district policies are observed during all activities.
- May provide lunch coverage.
- Create a safe classroom environment that is conducive to learning.
- Keep all children in the classroom under supervision at all times.
- Be familiar with fire exits, fire drill procedures, and safety procedures.
- Review notes for the day, take attendance and follow the lesson plans of the teacher.
- Maintain confidentiality as defined by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).
- Demonstrate the ability to adapt to circumstances. Exhibit good judgment and use appropriate language or behavior while on assignment
- Report for duty 30 minutes early and remain on duty for the entire assignment, including planning time of the teacher.
- May provide clerical and office support when not with students.
Work Environment & PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Abide by state statutes, school committee policies and regulations.
- Take all necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, equipment, materials, and facilities.
- Maintains accurate, complete, and correct records as required by law, district policy and administrative regulation.
- Responsible for implementing "other job related duties" as assigned by the supervisor or Principal
- Consistent and on-time attendance is required for supervision and instruction of the students
- Leave detailed notes for teacher on any issues experienced during the day.
- Other duties as assigned by the Principal, or the school office
Work Environment :
Work is performed in both office and school environments
Physical Requirements :
•Ability to operate computer, printer, telephone, copier, facsimile machine, and all other standard
•Ability to sit or stand for extended periods of time
•Ability to lift and/or move objects weighing up to 15 pounds
•Sufficient mobility to navigate within a large or small school buildingEqual Opportunity Employer
Newton Public Schools is committed to maintaining a work and learning environment free from discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, pregnancy, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital/civil union status, ancestry, place of birth, age, citizenship status, veteran status, political affiliation, genetic information or disability, as defined and required by state and federal laws. Additionally, we prohibit retaliation against individuals who oppose such discrimination and harassment or who participate in an equal opportunity investigation. Contact Information
- Kendall Sorensen
- 100 Walnut Street
- Newton, Massachusetts 02460