Position Type: Certified
Department: Elementary School
Salary Schedule: Certified
Reports to: Principal
Term of Employment: 9 months
Location: Elementary School
Approved by: Sacaton Governing Board POSITION SUMMARY
To help students overcome problems that impede learning and assist those in adjusting to the social, physical and personal problems encountered in grades K-4.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. JOB GOAL:
To support the mission of the district goals, procedures, and policies in the best interest of the student by professionally carrying out assigned duties and participating in the improvement and refinement of related areas. To coordinate program resources to promote the development of each student.
Applicant must score at least 80% on the structured interview to be considered for this position. CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED:
- Must have the authorization to work in the United States as defined by the Immigration Reform Act of 1986.
- Must meet all Arizona Department of Education certification requirements.
- Must meet all NCLB (Highly Qualified) qualifications.
- Standard Guidance Counselor Certificate.
- Must earn a Bachelor's degree (BA) from a four-year college or university.
- Preferred Master's degree (MA) from a college or university.
- Experience preferred.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS :
- Adheres to the District vision, mission, core values and goals in collaboration with staff.
- Demonstrates the ability and desire to provide outstanding customer service.
- Demonstrates a high regard for confidential and sensitive information.
OTHER SKILLS/ABILITIES/KNOWLEDGE/WORK STYLE:
- Assists student in evaluating their strengths and weaknesses using pertinent data to set educational goals.
- Remains readily available to students so as to provide counseling that will lead each student to increase personal growth and self-understanding.
- Works with students on an individual basis in the solution of personal problems related to home and family relations, health and emotional adjustment.
- Establishes a line of communication between the school and the home.
- Provides guidance for teachers and parents in dealing with student learning or personal problems.
- Maintains student records and protects their confidentiality.
- Works to resolve students' educational issues using all resources available.
- Guides students in their participation in school and community activities.
- Utilizes learning activities that are suitable for students and instructional and social-emotional goals.
- Utilizes materials and resources that support the instructional goals and engages students in meaningful learning.
- Delivers lessons and units that have recognizable structure, effective instructional strategies and time allocations for learning activities.
- Delivers lessons to various groupings of students that need assistance for various social-emotional reasons.
- Collaborates with teachers to develop social-emotional interventions.
- Responds appropriately to student behavior.
- Collaborates with parent/guardians and staff regarding the educational career, and personal/social development of students.
- Uses assessment results for individual student planning.
- Utilizes community and district resources to meet the individual needs of students.
- Exhibits sensitivity, empathy, and acceptance necessary for team problem-solving.
- Follows FERPA guidelines when sharing information.
- Functions as a credible resource by offering a variety by offering a variety of options and strategies.
- Serves as a liaison between the school district and community agencies.
- Demonstrates knowledge of the roles/responsibilities of community agencies.
- Assesses crisis situations and responds appropriately to school and student needs.
- Follows appropriate district procedures in emergency situations.
- Remains calm and self-assured.
- Develops and implements a guidance program that aligns with the Arizona School Counseling Program.
- Monitors and manages social-emotional related programs.
- Analyzes and utilizes program-related data to evaluate the guidance program.
- Participates in dialogues regarding social-emotional data, grade level meetings, parent/teacher conferences, and 504 meetings.
- Monitors academic progress in alignment with state standards.
- Implements student academic and social-emotional interventions with administrators, teachers, and parents.
- Participates in professional development to enhance knowledge and pedagogical skill.
- Participates in assisting other colleagues.
- Must meet any additional specific job requirements as indicated by the school.
- Ability and desire to provide outstanding customer service.
- Ability to work effectively under time constraints.
- Able to work a flexible schedule, which may include weekend work.
- Able to comply with District's attendance standards as described in established guidelines.
- Must be highly organized with the ability to multitask.
- Must be detail-oriented and self-motivated.
- Must have excellent communication skills.
- Must have an excellent memory and ability to function well under stress.
- Must demonstrate an extremely high regard for confidential and sensitive information.
- Must demonstrate flexibility, common sense, and good judgment.
- Must have the ability to keep abreast of information pertinent to the job.
- Demonstrates the ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
- Demonstrates the ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations.
- Interpersonal relation skills required.
- Must maintain a well-groomed appearance and follow the SESD Dress Code.
- Must have a basic knowledge of computers.
This job description is intended to be representative of the work performed by employees in this position and is not all-inclusive. The omission of a specific duty or responsibility will not preclude it from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical extension of position responsibilities as defined by the supervisor.
Job Category: Student Services > School/Guidance Counselor Contact Information
- JoAnn Bojorquez, Executive Administrative Assistant
- PO Box 98
- Sacaton, Arizona 85147