Position is an armed School Safety Assistant (SSA) position; however, there shall be no law enforcement authority, except to the extent necessary to prevent or abate an active assailant incident on Duval County Public School premises. Maintains calm, deters crime, and handles preliminary inquiries into violations of school board policies, on school property or at school-sponsored events. Ensures the safety, security, and welfare of all students, faculty, staff, and visitors in the assigned school. Assists the administrative staff with applying policies and procedures for safe and orderly schools at the building level.Essential Functions
1. Uses whatever force is necessary to prevent or abate an active assailant incident.
2. Conducts perimeter and inner school checks to ensure premises are secure.
3. Monitors students within a variety of school environments (e.g. rest rooms, grounds, hallways, library, cafeteria, parking lots, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring the safety and welfare of students.
4. Refers observations and incidents (e.g. injuries, altercations, suspicious activities, inappropriate social behavior, violations of rules, etc.) to communicate information to appropriate instructional and/or administrative personnel for follow-up action.
5. Assist with administrative searches when directed to do so by the Principal or designee.
6. Participates in all school emergency drills (Fire, Code Red, etc.).
7. Prepares a variety of documents (e.g. security logs, memos, letters, procedures, etc.) to document activities, providing written reference and/or conveying information. Reads and responds to e-mail communications.
8. Performs other duties as assigned.Probation:
Six (6) monthsQualificationsOpen Requirements:
Must be at least 21 years of age. Must possess a high school diploma (or equivalency). Some experience and/or training in a security related field or any equivalent combination of education and experience is preferred. Read, write, speak, and understand standard English.Promotional Requirements:
Must have or obtain a State of Florida (F.S.S. 790.06, Florida State Statutes) concealed weapons permit at the applicant's expense prior to employment and must maintain the permit throughout employment. A valid Florida Driver's license is required prior to appointment and must be maintained during employment in this class. Must successfully complete a 132-hour comprehensive firearms safety proficiency training during a Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission certified course conducted by JSO or other State of Florida certified law enforcement agency.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Training shall at a minimum consist of:
- 80 hours of firearms training
- 16 hours of instruction in precision pistol
- 8 hours of discretionary shooting instruction using approved simulator exercises
- 8 hours of instruction in defensive tactics
- 8 hours of instruction in active shooter or assailant scenarios
- 12 hours of instruction in legal issues
- Must successfully complete annual ongoing trainings in weapons inspection and firearm qualifications
- Must pass a psychological evaluation
- Must complete at least 12 hours of a certified nationally recognized diversity training program
- Must submit to and pass an initial drug test and subsequent random screenings
- Knowledge of standard security procedures and best practices
- Strong oral, written, and interpersonal communications skills
- Basic word processing and spreadsheet skills
- Ability to acquire knowledge of School Board policies and applicable Duval County School District security personnel procedures
- Ability to read, write, speak and understand standard English
- Ability to apply, standard security procedures and best practices
- Ability to work with a wide variety of students from diverse backgrounds
- Ability to pass required physical, psychiatric, and drug tests
- Ability to exercise good judgment under potentially dangerous conditions
- Ability to subdue offenders, including use of firearms and handcuffs
- Ability to control sudden violent or extreme physical acts of others
- Ability to exhibit rapid mental and muscular coordination simultaneously
- Ability to work well with school administrators, youth, and adults
- Ability to prepare and maintain technical records and reports
Job Category: Support Staff > Safety/Security Contact Information
- Laura Bowes
- 1701 Prudential Dr
- Jcaksonville, Florida 32207