Harrisonburg High School Athletic Department - Varsity Head Coach Job Description Qualifications:
- Valid Virginia teacher certification (preferred)
- Employment as a teacher in the Harrisonburg City Public Schools (preferred)
- Has demonstrated ability to organize and supervise a total sports program
- Has previous successful coaching experience in assigned sport(s)
- Must have substantial knowledge of the technical aspects of the sport and at the same time must continue to examine new theories and procedures pertinent to the field.
- The Athletic Director, who provides overall objectives and final evaluation in conjunction with the high school Principal.
- A staff of assistant coaches (paid and volunteer), and athletes in conjunction with the Athletic Director and the high school Principal.
- The Head Coach is expected to instruct athletes in the fundamental skills, strategy and physical training necessary for them to realize a degree of individual and team success. At the same time, the student shall receive instruction that will lead to the formulation of moral values, pride of accomplishment, acceptable social behavior, self-discipline and self-confidence.
Duties and Responsibilities
- The public exposure in this position is extremely high, and it is a considerable responsibility to remain a positive role model and conduct oneself as an effective teacher and coach at all times.
- The objectives of teaching good sportsmanship, integrity and strong work ethic are vital to success as a Head Coach.
- The position includes unusual aspects such as extended time, risk injury factor and due process predicaments; coaches are expected to recognize and deal with these and other aspects effectively.
- Coaches are expected to exercise common sense and good judgment.
: (including, but not limited to) Organizational and Communication
send information/correspondence to players/parents
conduct orientation programs for parents, athletes and coaches
assist with schedule development or schedule validation
develop procedures for open communication with parents and athletes
establish dialogue with parents and players to address issues or concerns. Administrative
manage Athletic funds responsibly as directed by the Athletic Director
implement school athletic policies
assist with completion of participation paperwork by athletes and parents
monitor athlete attendance/behavior/academic status
monitor grades on-going in and out of season with Athletic Secretary
complete required administrative reports by designated date(s)
monitor student/athletes before practice/games, during practice/games and after practice/games. One coach must stay until all players and managers are off of school grounds
ensure the safety of all student athletes as the team travels to away sporting events and home from sporting events
keep Athletic Director informed of all team rules, procedures and happenings involving athletes and parents
evaluate all assistant coaches at season end
provide coaches, players and parents with rules and expectations of each.
Work to maintain practice and playing facilities
To make sure all doors are secured at all times of practice. (ex: gym doors, football field gates, etc.) Training and Preparation
appropriate development of positive sportsmanship
appropriate skill training
appropriate tactical training
appropriate positive motivation
appropriate attention to maturity, readiness and pairing of athletes
provide clear and focused practice schedules for athletes that encompass the above expectations (1-6) toward overall development of the individual and team
effectively prepare the team to compete in-season and in the post-season through various means of scouting.
Job Category: Athletics & Activities > Coaching Equal Opportunity Employer
Harrisonburg City Public Schools is committed to maintaining a work and learning environment free from discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, pregnancy, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital/civil union status, ancestry, place of birth, age, citizenship status, veteran status, political affiliation, genetic information or disability, as defined and required by state and federal laws. Additionally, we prohibit retaliation against individuals who oppose such discrimination and harassment or who participate in an equal opportunity investigation. Contact Information
- Yeevonne Connolly
- One Court Square
- Harrisonburg , Virginia 22801