Position is for the 2020-2021 School Year. This posting will create a pool of applicants. As openings become available, these applications will be reviewed and considered for interview. Minimum Qualifications:
High school diploma or equivalent is preferred
CPR/First Aid Certificate
Commercial Drivers License (Class B) with the appropriate endorsements. One year of school bus driving experience is preferred.
No more that one preventable accident in the past driving year.
Minimum age of 21 years old.
3 years driving experience in addition to meeting the standard requirements of a school bus driver.
Proficiency in reading, writing and communicating in English
Some Spanish language skills desirable Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Drives bus to and from school and other locations, following predetermined routes and time schedule(s). May be required to alter routes to compensate for emergency weather/road conditions. Only allows authorized riders on bus and picks up and discharges riders at authorized stops.
- Must work well with children and be able to perform duties in frequently noisy and stressful conditions (i.e., bad weather, traffic, etc.).
- Must become expertly familiar with assigned routes and stops; and perform trial runs prior to initiation of new or changed routes.
- Must be alert to prevent accidents, especially in heavy traffic or in bad weather, and to avoid sudden stops or swerves that jar passengers.
- Must maintain student ridership rosters and strive to develop good working relationships with their students.
- Must exercise particular caution when children are getting on or off the bus.
- Uses district-approved techniques to maintain order on the bus and enforces school safety standards and documents student violations disciplinary policies for student riders. Reports incidents of rule violations to proper authority in order to correct the problem. May be required to talk to parents or attend disciplinary hearings.
- Must know and enforce the school system's rules regarding student conduct on the bus.
- Acquire and consistently demonstrate ability to accommodate the special needs of students with physical and behavioral disabilities.
- Is responsible for preparing weekly reports on the number of students, trips or "runs," work hours, miles, and fuel consumption as required.
- Is responsible for conducting daily pre- and post-inspections per state guidelines. In addition, the Driver is responsible for refueling and maintaining the cleanliness of assigned bus.
- Immediately reports any equipment or other mechanical problems to his/her supervisors. Notifies supervisor or proper authority of all accidents and bus delays.
- Will receive mandatory state training and ongoing in-service classroom training as required by the state and the district, to include State and local laws, regulations, and policies; safe driving practices; driver-pupil relations; first aid; emergency evacuation procedures; and the special needs of students who are with physical or behavioral disabilities; become familiar with the District's rules for discipline and conduct for bus drivers and the students they transport.
- As the number of students with physical or behavioral disabilities increases, school bus drivers must learn how to accommodate their special needs as trained by RRPS.
- Other duties as assigned by Lead Driver or Director of Transportation.
Work hours will be in accordance with hours determined by the Director of Transportation.Application Procedure:
To complete this application, the following documents must be attached:
Review salary information here. An Equal Opportunity Employer
- High School Diploma or GED Certificate if applicable
- CDL License required
- CDL License or driver's license (please attach to licensure field)
Job Category: Support Staff > Transportation Contact Information
- Vanessa Burge, Administrative Assistant
- 500 Laser Rd.
- Rio Rancho, New Mexico 87124