POSITION TO START AUGUST 2020 POSITION TITLE: Paraprofessional - Special Education ResourceGENERAL DESCRIPTION:
The Resource Paraprofessional's primary responsibilities include assisting the classroom teacher(s) and other support personnel with instruction. The Paraprofessional also helps monitor student progress and performance by collecting data and maintaining records. MINIMUM JOB RELATED QUALIFICATIONS
- An Associate's degree, OR completion of 48 semester hours or 72 quarter hours at an institution of higher learning, OR demonstrated proficiency in the ability to assist in the instruction of reading, writing and mathematics via state or locally approved competency test.
- Maintain high level of confidentiality regarding student and staff information.
- Ability to walk, stand, bend, twist, balance, stoop, climb steps and reach overhead
- Committed to helping all children learn - assist students and reinforce learning concepts for individual or small groups
- Willingness to participate in professional development and in-service trainings
- Regular daily attendance is essential
- Demonstrates flexibility and responsiveness
- Ability to work with diverse populations and handle situations with tact and diplomacy
- Expected to interact with all internal and external customers in a friendly and professional manner
- Possess the manual dexterity, physical ability and stamina for a full day of various physical activity
Reports to: Building Principal
Work Schedule: 6.5 hours per day, Monday through Friday, 10 Month, Non-Exempt
Salary: Wages are administered consistent with negotiated agreement or board adopted salary schedule.JOB FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Terms of Employment
- Works with individual students or small groups of students to reinforce learning of materials or skills initially introduced and outlined by certified staff.
- Observe and record behavior, as well as assist in the utilization of behavior modfication techniques designed by the teacher.
- Develop and maintain a professional rapport with classroom teacher and other staff.
- Assist students at arrival and dismissal of school.
- Assist in the supervision of students during lunch and recess periods.
- Assist with grading and reviewing homework as instructed by the classroom teacher.
- Assist teachers in monitoring, collecting data and maintaining records regarding student performance and progress.
- Ability to perform routine classroom management and maintenance duties.
- Performs assigned supervision of students during lunch periods and recess periods.
- Ability to organize and retrieve materials and organize schedules according to guidelines.
- Knowledge of computers with the ability to assist students with educational technology to include software.
- Performs other duties as assigned
This position is treated as a full-time non-exempt classified position. The terms of your employment will be governed by applicable state laws regulating employment in a Nebraska public school and Board of Education policies, as those laws and policies may change from time to time. If your position is represented by a collective bargaining representative, then your employment will also be governed by a negotiated agreement between OPS and that collective bargaining representative.
The offer of employment is contingent upon:
- Obtaining and providing verification of all licenses, certificates, and other requirements for the position (e.g., Paraprofessionals obtaining "Highly Qualified status," etc.), as identified and maintaining all licenses, certificates, and requirements for your position throughout employment.
- A background check which demonstrates to OPS that background is acceptable for the position.
- Verification of U.S. citizenship or legal authorization to work in the United States.
- Successful completion of a pre-employment drug test (if required for position offered).
- Successful completion of a tuberculosis skin test (if required for position offered).
- Successful completion of a pre-employment medical examination to determine ability to safely and effectively perform the essential functions of the position.
Omaha public schools does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy), marital status, sexual orientation, disability, age, genetic information, gender identity, gender expression, citizenship status, veteran status, political affiliation or economic status in its programs, activities, employment, and provides equal access to the Boy Scouts and other designated youth groups. The following individual has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies: Director for the Office of Equity and Diversity, 3215 Cuming Street, Omaha, NE 68131. (531-299-0307)
The Omaha Public School District is committed to providing access and reasonable accommodation in its services, programs, activities, education and employment for individuals with disabilities. To request disability accommodation in the application process please contact the human resources department at 531-299-0240.
Job Category: Instructional Support > Paraprofessional / IA Welcome to Omaha Public Schools!
WHY OMAHA? Omaha, nestled in the central mid-west has a strong and vibrant business community and the city is home to five Fortune 500 companies. In 2008, Kiplinger's Personal Finance magazine named Omaha the nation's third best city to live, work and play. One voice united for strong economic growth, new jobs and investment, and widespread prosperity throughout Greater Omaha. GET TO KNOW GREATER OMAHA Welcome to a proud, progressive and vibrant metropolitan area, a nine-county region that is future-focused but firmly rooted in a heritage of hard work and hospitality. Anchored by the city of Omaha and its more than 419,000 people, the Greater Omaha region (Cass, Dodge, Douglas, Sarpy, Saunders and Washington counties in Nebraska, and Harrison, Mills and Pottawattamie counties in Iowa) boasts a combined population of more than 925,000 and a set of attributes that allows businesses large and small to thrive! Consider our top 10 reasons Greater Omaha is right for your business and you! 1.Lower cost of doing business 2.Available, reliable utilities 3.Educated, motivated and affordable workforce 4.Save on real estate costs 5.Lower cost of living 6.Omaha is the hub of the nation's fiber connectivity 7.Pro-business climate 8.Strategic, central location 9.Stable, healthy economy 10.Business incentives that reward performance Take a look at what Omaha has to offer! Learn more about us...Contact Information
- OPS Human Resources
- 3215 Cuming Street
- Omaha, Nebraska 68131-2021