JOB TITLE: BUS DRIVER
REPORTS TO: Transportation Director
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
SUMMARY: Ensures students and other official passengers are transported safely and efficiently to and from school and other school related events (field trips, athletic events, etc.).
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Transports passengers (students, teachers, parents, etc.) to and from school and other district sanctioned events.
• Maintains order and discipline of students and other passengers on bus per prescribed policies, prepares conduct reports as needed.
• Demonstrates and explains emergency evacuation procedures to passengers in accordance with Transportation Safety Training.
• Maintains daily mileage and route logs as required.
• Updates route maps and directions as needed. Transports students, etc. according to official route directions.
• Obeys all traffic laws and observes all mandatory safety regulations for school buses.
• Performs as a substitute bus driver as needed.
• Conducts a daily pre-trip safety inspection of the vehicle. Communicates with teachers, principal, monitors and other officials as needed.
• Operates wheelchair lift, and loads and unloads and safely secures passengers confined to wheelchairs, when applicable.
• Monitors the activities of Transportation (Bus) Monitors as they relate to their actions with students and the public.
• Unwavering belief that all students can be successful.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
• Ability to operate a standard or automatic transmission motor vehicle and foot controls with two feet simultaneously.
• Ability to use two-way communication equipment.
• Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
• Ability to apply common sense understanding to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of situations.
• Ability to work cooperatively and courteously with staff, students, parents and community members.
• Knowledge of applicable Federal and State laws, district procedures and Board policies.
• Ability to handle confrontation and conflict without an emotional response.
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS:
Education & Experience:
• High School diploma or equivalent; 2 years driving experience
• Arizona Class B Driver's License with air brake, passenger and school bus endorsements
• Arizona School Bus Driver Certification
• Any equivalent combination of training, education and experience that meets minimum requirements
• CPR and First Aid Certification desired
PHYSICAL DEMANDS The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to reach with hands and arms. The employee is frequently required to climb, sit, stand, bend, walk and operate foot controls simultaneously. The employee would be required to lift up to 30 pounds safely.
Indoors and outdoors, with exposure to all weather conditions and temperatures. Exposure to all types of traffic conditions. Exposure to noise, dust, gas and fumes. The noise level in the work environment is generally moderate and may become excessively noisy at times. Contact with employees, students and public.
Disclaimer: The duties and responsibilities identified in this position description are illustrative only and are in no way intended to be a complete list of activities that may be required of an incumbent.
The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the American Disabilities Act (ADA) and is not an exhaustive list of duties performed for this position. Additional duties are performed by the individual currently holding this position and additional duties may be assigned.
- Position Type: Full-time
- Positions Available: 1
Job Category: Support Staff > Transportation Contact Information
- David Dumon
- HC 01 BOX 130
- Tucson, Arizona 85736