This position is responsible for providing safe transportation of students to and from school routes; to include transporting general education and special education students, assisting students with boarding and exiting the bus, and performing daily safety checks on the bus. Some employees may be assigned to special routes involving inter-system transfer of students and/or field trips to locations other than the assigned school. Education and Experience
Requires a high school diploma or General Equivalency Diploma (GED), training as a bus driver, or an equivalent combination of education and experience that would provide the above knowledge, skill, and abilities. Essential Job Functions
- Responsible for driving a school bus on designated routes; to include picking up and dropping off students as scheduled.
- Assists students with physical disabilities board and exit the bus. Also includes assisting with seating and securing children in safety belts prior to operating the bus.
- Responsible for conducting and records daily pre-trip checks on bus and bus components; to include inspecting tires, lights, fuel level, oil levels, and windshield wipers.
- Responsible for reporting defective equipment immediately.
- Completes daily and monthly operations reports indicating times, mileage, and routes.
- Completes bus incident reports as necessary.
- Cleans interior and exterior of bus by sweeping floors, dusting and washing seats, and cleaning windows.
- Requires special bus runs as needed; to include evening runs.
- May serve as Dispatcher in a training capacity.
- Communicates with dispatcher supervisor utilizing two-way radio transmitter.
- Meets with parents, teacher, principals, or other school officials on occasion to express and listen to concerns regarding bus operation, scheduling, and safety.
- Reports violations of state school bus law (other drivers) as required.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Job Category: Instructional Support > Substitute Contact Information
- Amanda Schilling
- 800 E. City Hall Ave
- Norfolk, Virginia 23510