POSITION TO START AUGUST 2020 Job Title:
Paraprofessional, Positive Action Center (PAC) - Part TimePosition Purpose:
Primary responsibilities are to maintain a caring and instructional climate by providing students with a positive neutral environment to learn responsibility, to employ re-teaching opportunities with a variety of prevention and intervention strategies, and to build confidence in the student's ability to apply skills they have learned to live situations by accepting logical consequences. This individual may also work to provide academic assistance and work with teachers to collect assignments.Essential Performance Responsibilities
- Ability to interact and communicate with PAC administrator/trainers, students, staff, and parents in a courteous, professional manner.
- Record data for factual documentation, accountability, and evaluation purposes.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to perform a variety of assigned record keeping duties.
- Ability to serve as a positive, mature role model.
- Collaborates with teachers to collect assignments and provide academic assistance.
- Maintains an instructional focus among students in the room.
- Willingness to learn alternative methods of dealing with inappropriate school behavior.
- Exercises crisis management methodologies and strategies to determine hostile behaviors leading to conflicts and to ensure the safety of surrounding students and staff.
- Works with and understands the needs of a diverse student population.
- Maintains a calm and professional demeanor in all circumstances.
Performs other related tasks as assigned by supervisor and other central office administrators as designated by the Superintendent.Equipment:
This position may require the ability to use SMART boards and iPads in addition to basic office equipment such as computers, copiers, scanners, and fax machine. Must always comply with OPS's guidelines for equipment use.Travel:
Limited local travel may be required.Physical and Mental Demands, Work Hazards:
- Must be able to respond rapidly in emergency situations.
- Must have organization, time management, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Work in an office environment and school buildings.
- Ability to lift, move and reposition objects and materials- frequently exerting force equal to lifting fifty (25) pounds.
Employee Punctuality and Appearance
- Contact with personnel within the district and with students and parents.
- Will be working under the direct supervision of the department supervisor in order to complete day to day tasks.
- Will be working with a diverse population requiring the ability to handle all situations with tact and diplomacy.
- Must understand and respond appropriately to customer needs and maintain a positive attitude with all customers and colleagues.
- Expected to interact with all internal and external customers in a friendly, professional manner and provide quick, responsive customer service.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- In order for schools to operate effectively, employees are expected to perform all assigned duties and work all scheduled hours during each designated workday, unless the employee has received approved leave.
- Any deviation from assigned hours must have prior approval from the employee's supervisor or building administrator.
- All employees are required to report to work dressed in a manner that reflects a positive image of Omaha Public Schools and is appropriate for their position.
- An Associate's degree, OR completion of 48 semester hours or 72 quarter hours at an institution of higher learning, OR demonstrated proficiency in the ability to assist in the instruction of reading, writing and mathematics via state or locally approved competency test.
- Previous PAC or ISS/SSC experience preferred.
- Evidence of good mental and physical health.
- Ability to perform as a team member.
- Ability to follow oral and written directions.
- Reliable transportation needed.
- One or more years of job-related experience or its equivalent (preferred).
- Excellent attendance and work record.
- Ability to work with and meet individual needs of all students.
- Ability to comply with the OPS discipline, philosophy, and guidelines.
School Building Principal Work Schedule/FLSA Status:
5.0 hours per day, Monday-Friday, 10 month, Non-ExemptSalary Schedule:
Wages are administered consistent with the negotiated agreement and Board adopted salary structure.Terms of Employment
This position is treated as a full-time non-exempt classified position. The terms of your employment will be governed by applicable state laws regulating employment in a Nebraska public school and Board of Education policies, as those laws and policies may change from time to time. If your position is represented by a collective bargaining representative, then your employment will also be governed by a negotiated agreement between OPS and that collective bargaining representative.
The offer of employment is contingent upon:
- Obtaining and providing verification of all licenses, certificates, and other requirements for the position (e.g., Paraprofessionals obtaining "Highly Qualified status," etc.), as identified and maintaining all licenses, certificates, and requirements for your position throughout employment.
- A background check which demonstrates to OPS that background is acceptable for the position.
- Verification of U.S. citizenship or legal authorization to work in the United States.
- Successful completion of a pre-employment drug test (if required for position offered).
- Successful completion of a tuberculosis skin test (if required for position offered).
- Successful completion of a pre-employment medical examination to determine ability to safely and effectively perform the essential functions of the position.
Omaha Public Schools does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy), marital status, sexual orientation, disability, age, genetic information, gender identity, gender expression, citizenship status, veteran status, political affiliation or economic status in its programs, activities, employment, and provides equal access to the Boy Scouts and other designated youth groups. The following individual has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies: Director for the Office of Equity and Diversity, 3215 Cuming Street, Omaha, NE 68131. (531-299-0307)
The Omaha Public School District is committed to providing access and reasonable accommodation in its services, programs, activities, education and employment for individuals with disabilities. To request disability accommodation in the application process please contact the human resources department at 531-299-0240.
Job Category: Instructional Support > Paraprofessional / IA Welcome to Omaha Public Schools!
WHY OMAHA? Omaha, nestled in the central mid-west has a strong and vibrant business community and the city is home to five Fortune 500 companies. In 2008, Kiplinger's Personal Finance magazine named Omaha the nation's third best city to live, work and play. One voice united for strong economic growth, new jobs and investment, and widespread prosperity throughout Greater Omaha. GET TO KNOW GREATER OMAHA Welcome to a proud, progressive and vibrant metropolitan area, a nine-county region that is future-focused but firmly rooted in a heritage of hard work and hospitality. Anchored by the city of Omaha and its more than 419,000 people, the Greater Omaha region (Cass, Dodge, Douglas, Sarpy, Saunders and Washington counties in Nebraska, and Harrison, Mills and Pottawattamie counties in Iowa) boasts a combined population of more than 925,000 and a set of attributes that allows businesses large and small to thrive! Consider our top 10 reasons Greater Omaha is right for your business and you! 1.Lower cost of doing business 2.Available, reliable utilities 3.Educated, motivated and affordable workforce 4.Save on real estate costs 5.Lower cost of living 6.Omaha is the hub of the nation's fiber connectivity 7.Pro-business climate 8.Strategic, central location 9.Stable, healthy economy 10.Business incentives that reward performance Take a look at what Omaha has to offer! Learn more about us...Contact Information
- OPS Human Resources
- 3215 Cuming Street
- Omaha, Nebraska 68131-2021