Urbana School District #116TITLE:
Safety Aide - Teaching AssistantLOCATION:
Thomas Paine ElementarySUPERVISOR:
Building Principal JOB SUMMARY:
The Special Education Safety Aide - Teaching Assistant works under the direct supervision of the assigned teacher and under the broad supervision of the building principal. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily.
- Provide assistance to student(s) to help foster independence.
- Assist in carrying out lessons to student(s) as arranged by the teacher, including working with an individual student or in a small group.
- Make needed adaptations and accommodations for students' academic programming in general education classes as developed by the classroom teacher.
- Follow each student's individual behavioral plan, if provided, as well as the classroom behavior management plan.
- Provide for special needs of individual students, including lifting, hygiene, and restroom assistance if necessary.
- Assist the teacher in maintaining a functional, attractive, and orderly environment conducive to student learning.
- Assist the classroom teacher in clerical tasks, computer work, arts and crafts preparation, playground supervision, clean-up duties, maintain and/or restore work area/classroom for safety, bus loading and unloading.
- Promote and model responsible, respectful, and safe behaviors.
- Models conversation, clean-up activities, listening, and everyday interactions for the purpose of demonstrating appropriate social behavior and social interactions in a culturally sensitive manner.
- Maintain the classroom routine when the teacher is not present.
- Provide programs for students off school property if requested. (May include, but not limited to, field trips, vocational, and aquatic center activities.)
- Record and compile data monitoring academic and behavior programming.
- Participate in staff/team/collaboration meetings as assigned.
- Perform all other duties and tasks assigned from time to time by the classroom teacher as it relates to individual students or the classroom.
- Monitor student needs and behaviors at all times (e.g. during lunch, going to and from all classes).
- Report any unusual student behaviors to the teacher or administrator.
- Maintain strict standards of student and family confidentiality.
- Use appropriate techniques as instructed by classroom teacher, including de-escalation strategies, when students are in danger of harming themselves or others.
EDUCATION: Must meet all requirements for the position as designated by the ISBE, Paraprofessional Certificate (60 hours of college credit are required).
EXPERIENCE: 2 years school-based experience preferred, but not requiredOTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Highly organized
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills
- Excellent problem-solver
- Should be able to work with students with a history of behavior or learning problems
- Proven to work under pressure and can prioritize multiple tasks
To be completed by principal with input from the classroom teacher.START DATE:
This is a position within the collective bargaining unit and is not an administrative position.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYERREVISED:
Job Categories: Instructional Support > Paraprofessional / IA
Support Staff > Safety/Security Contact Information
- Larry Simmons
- 205 North Race Street
- Urbana, Illinois 61801