Nature and Scope of Job:
Under the supervision of the Supervisor of Student Support and Special Education, the Special Education Teacher will support teachers and work with students with Individual Education Plans (IEPs). The teacher will create, manage, and participate in a variety of learning environments and activities that enhance student development and mastery of learning objectives. Philip's teachers participate in extensive professional development, collaborate with other faculty and staff, promote rigorous learning opportunities, and look out for the collective and individual interests of Philip's students as well as the schools' greater community.Job Functions and Responsibilities:
- Assist teachers to develop research-based, instructional practices that support the development of student's on Individual Education Plans (IEPs), specifically in early literacy and mathematical background knowledge and concept development.
- Provide direct service to students on IEPs, including inclusion and pull-out supports.
- Collaborate with general education teachers to monitor, evaluate, and document student progress.
- Create and implement accommodations and modifications as specified in students' IEPs.
- Write annual IEPs, including student goals and objectives.
- Collect student data and track progress towards students' individualized goals.
- Meet with teachers and parents both formally and informally, to communicate student progress.
- Attend grade level meetings.
- Support during other times of the day, including but not limited to teaching a co-curricular and providing supervision during recess, lunch, and hallway.
- Other duties, responsibilities and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice from the Principal.
- Bachelor's Degree in Education or related field required; advanced degree in education a plus.
- Hold a valid NJ State Student with Disabilities Certificate in conjunction with a NJ State K-6 Teaching Certificate.
- Minimum 2 years of teaching experience.
- Commitment to ensuring academic success for all students.
- Shared dedication to Philip's Academy's philosophy and mission.
- Excellent teamwork, work ethic, and organizational skills.
- Communicate effectively in English, both orally and verbally. Bilingual a plus.
- Possess excellent integrity, a gentle spirit, and demonstrate strong moral character and initiative.
- Demonstrate technological abilities: word processing, data management, and informational retrieval.
- Maintain ongoing professional development.
- Submit a background checks through the New Jersey Department of Education.
- Be CPR, First Aid, and Blood Borne Pathogen certified or obtain certification upon hire.
- Complete a Tuberculosis test and physical and provide a physician's documentation of both.
- Be able to kneel, bend, squat, lift, push, pull, and carry students up to 70lbs.
- Have dependable transportation.
Philip's Academy Charter Schools provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Job Category : Special Education > General Special Education Contact Information
- Sydney Williams
- 342 Central Avenue
- Newark, New Jersey 07103