Autism Support TeacherREPORTS TO:
As assigned WAGE/HIRE STATUS:
Provide students who have been identified with Autism with the appropriate learning activities and experiences designed to fulfill their potential for intellectual, emotional, physical, and social growth. Enable students to develop competencies and skills to function successfully in society.QUALIFICATIONS:Minimum Education/Certification:
Bachelor's degree from accredited college or university
Valid teaching certificate for subjectgrade level assigned
Be eligible for the appropriate Probationary Certificate through a TEA approved Teacher
Certification Program. Special Knowledge/Skills:
Knowledge of special needs of students in assigned area
- Knowledge of Admission, Review, and Dismissal (ARD) Committee process and Individual
- Educational Plan (IEP) goal setting process an implementation
- Knowledge of curriculum and instruction
- pecific training and experience in teaching students with autism and related disorders
- Knowledge and training in effective methodologies and best practices in teaching autistic students
- Ability to effectively assess levels of student achievement, analyze test results and prescribe actions for improvement.
- Knowledge of current educational research.
Student teaching or approved internship or approved Alternative Teacher Certification Program training Terms of Contract:
According to district approved calendarMAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:Instructional Management
1. Participate in ARD Committee meetings on a regular basis.
2. Collaborate with students, parents, and other members of staff to develop IEP through the ARD
Committee process for each student assigned.
3. Develop and implement plans for the curriculum program assigned and show written evidence of preparation as required.
4. Prepare lessons that reflect accommodation for individual student differences.
5. Present the subject matter according to guidelines established by Texas Education Agency, board policies, administrative regulations.
6. Employ a variety of instructional techniques and media, consistent with the needs and capabilities of the student groups involved.
7. Cooperate with other members of the staff in planning and implementing instructional goals, objectives, and methods in accordance with district requirements.
8. Plan and supervise purposeful assignments for teacher assistant(s) and/or volunteer(s).
9. Employ the use of technologies in the teaching/learning process.
10. Assist in the selection of books, equipment, and other instructional materials.
11. Provide classroom support to teachers working with students with autism and related disorders. Student Growth and Development
11. Assist students in analyzing and improving methods and habits of study.
12. Assess the accomplishments of students on a regular basis and provide progress required.
13. Provide or supervise personal care, medical care, and feeding of students as stated in IEP.
14. Assume responsibility for duties and/or extra curricular activities as assigned and may sponsor outside activities approved by the school.
15. Present for students a positive role model that supports the mission of the school district. School/Organization Climate
16. Create a classroom environment that is conducive to learning and appropriate to the maturity and interests of students.
17. Provide demonstrations teaching and modeling of effective practices in teaching autistic students
18. Establish control in the classroom and administer discipline in accordance with board policies, administrative regulations, and students' IEP.
19. Take all necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students.
20. Assist before, during, and after the school day in the supervision of students as assigned by the principal.
21. Promote a positive work environment and positive staff morale within the school.School/Organization Improvement
21. Participate with other staff in building a common vision for school improvement.
22. Participate in planning and implementing activities to ensure attainment of school's mission.Personnel Management
23. Assist in selecting/orienting new instructional staff.Administration and Fiscal/Facilities Management
24. Take all necessary and reasonable precautions to protect equipment, materials, and facilities.School/Community Relations
25. Establish and maintain open lines of communication with students and their parents.
26. Maintain a professional relationship with all colleagues, students, parents, and community members.
27. Use acceptable communication skills to present information accurately and clearly.Professional Growth and Development
28. Participate in the district professional development program.
29. Demonstrate interest and initiative in professional improvement.
30. Observe professional and ethical standards in accordance with generally accepted community standards and the Texas Education Agency code of ethics. Policy Implementation
31. Keep informed of and comply with federal, state, district, and school regulations and policies for teachers.
32. Assume responsibility for compiling, maintaining, and filing all reports, records, and other documents required.
33. Attend and participate in faculty meetings and serve on staff committees as required. Other Duties
34. Perform such other duties as may be assigned or as may be necessary for job effectiveness.SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES:
Supervise assigned teacher assistant(s), if applicable.WORKING CONDITIONS: Mental Demands/Physical Demands/Environmental Factors:
Maintain emotional control under stress. Frequent standing, stooping, bending, kneeling, pushing and pulling. Move small stacks of textbooks, media equipment, desks, and other classroom adaptive equipment. May be required to lift and position students with physical disabilities; control ehavior through physical restraint; and assist nonambulatory students. Exposure to biological hazards.
Job Category: Special Education > Autism Contact Information
- Woodrow Bailey
- 615 W. MISSOURI
- MIDLAND, Texas 79705