4534Position Control: Department:
Teacher FLSA Status
: Non-ExemptCreation/Revision Date:
July 10, 2019Summary:
Under direct supervision, incumbent(s) provides assistance to teachers in a classroom environment by providing materials and handouts to students, working with students individually or in groups on special projects or assignments, demonstrating skills and techniques, communicating with parents regarding specific concerns, providing input to lesson plans and daily activities, photocopying materials and preparing classrooms for various activities. In addition, incumbent(s) monitors students on the playground and in the cafeteria.Essential Functions:
- Works with students individually or in groups on special projects or assignments including spelling, reading, mathematics, comprehension levels and memorization of emergency information. Demonstrates skills and techniques in order to aid in student learning. Monitors student behavior and enforces school and classroom standards and policies.
- Monitors students and ensures safety on the playground and the cafeteria area before school, during breakfast and lunch, and during recess. Reports any unusual incidents or injury to school administration. Accompanies students from classrooms to other areas including the library, playground, and cafeteria and to buses to ensure orderly behavior.
- Maintains discipline by monitoring student behavior and taking the appropriate action including determining when to give a warning and when a formal notice should be written. Prepares incident documents including disciplinary actions and documentation for unusual incidents.Monitors student progress in reading and/or mathematics.
- Copies and prepares educational materials as needed.
- Prepares classrooms for activities including setting up tables and chairs and handing out materials. Performs clean up after activities including picking up toys and trash, washing tables and chairs and rearranging furniture.
- Communicates with parents regarding progress and concerns including improvements in specific academic areas, truancy and behavioral problems. Interprets communications between teachers and parents when necessary.
- Assists teachers in planning and coordinating lesson plans by sharing ideas and providing feedback from the students.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
To be eligible for this position, an applicant must meet the following required qualifications. Verification of these required qualifications is necessary.
- High School diploma or equivalent (G.E.D.) prior to being hired, Completion of 60 College Credit Hours, Associate's Degree from an accredited college or university, or successfully passed an Arizona State approved paraprofessional test (offered by WESD at no cost and must pass prior to being hired, Please contact HR for more information)
- Six months of working with children in a learning environment or related experience;
It is preferred that applicant possesses the following preferred qualifications; however, the following qualifications are not required to be eligible for this position.
Knowledge and Skills Required:
- Proficiency in English and target language.
- Valid cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) certificate
To perform the job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The qualifications for this job description are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Skills required, but not limited to, for this position include:
- Demonstrating child development theories;
- Knowing basic mathematical concepts;
- Using typical activities within a classroom environment;
- Working with children;
- Maintaining student discipline;
- Demonstrating appropriate techniques and procedures;
- Facilitating group activities in a learning environment;
- Reviewing completed work assignments;
- Preparing classroom for various activities;
- Reading and following lesson plans;
- Applying school rules, policies and procedures;
- Engaging and encouraging communication skills while interacting with supervisors, staff, students, etc. to exchange information.
The physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; talk or hear and taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.Working Conditions:
The working environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Job Categories: Instructional Support > Individual Aide
Instructional Support > Paraprofessional / IA Contact Information
- Lydia Garcia
- 4650 W Sweetwater Ave
- Glendale, Arizona 85304