Substitute School Bus Driver (Remainder of 19-20 school year)Department:
Transportation DepartmentReports To:
Director of TransportationContract:
As NeededEnding Date:
Until Filled SUMMARY:
A school bus driver has an extremely important job and responsibility. From the time the bus makes the first stop on the route until the last passenger disembarks, the safety of someone else's child is in the driver's hands. Safety is more important than keeping schedules or relationships with parents. It affects every aspect of a driver's career.ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- Operate the bus in such a manner that proper care is given the bus and passengers at all times.
- Start the route on time each morning in order to operate the bus at a safe speed and arrive at school on time.
- Do not change the route without proper authorization from the Transportation Director.
- Perform a pre-trip inspection and a student check after each route to ensure all students are off the bus.
- Ensure students are aware of the rules and their responsibility as a passenger.
- Maintain student discipline on the bus.
- Keep the bus clean and fueled.
- Remain on the bus while waiting on students. If the driver has to leave the bus for any reason be sure the parking brake is on, the engine off, and key is in the driver's pocket.
- Wear seat belt at all times.
- Only allow students off the bus at approved stop, or with a written note from the transportation or school office.
- Do not move the bus until all students are seated and facing forward.
- Perform all other duties assigned by the supervisor.
High school diploma or equivalency is preferred. School bus drivers are to have a class B CDL, a school bus endorsement, air brake endorsement and passenger endorsement. Applicants must pass a DOT physical, pre-employment drug and background check before being eligible for employment.SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE/SKILLS:
The ability to deal with members of the public in a courteous and respectful manner including receiving complaints about schedules and levels and quality of service; the ability to deal with students; capable of responding in emergency situations.
Job Categories: Instructional Support > Substitute
Support Staff > Transportation Contact Information
- Tiffany Bone
- 1414 W Main Street
- Jacksonville, Arkansas 72206