Position contingent upon availability of funding/ programmingDUTIES:
1. Meets and instructs assigned classes in the locations and at times designated.
2. Plans a program of study that, as much as possible, meets the individual needs, interest, and abilities of the students.
3. Creates a classroom environment that is conducive to learning and appropriate to the maturity and interests of the students.
4. Guides the learning process toward the achievement of established district curriculum goals, establishes and communicates clear objectives to the students for all lessons, units and projects.
5. Prepares for classes assigned, and shows written evidence of preparation upon request of immediate supervisor as required by the teachers' contract.
6. Employs a variety of instructional techniques and instructional media, consistent with the physical limitations of the location provided and the needs of capabilities of the individuals or student groups involved.
7. Strives by instruction and action to implement the district's philosophy of education, instructional goals and objectives and performance expectations.
8. Assesses the accomplishments of students on a regular basis; provides progress reports as required, and communicates with parents at deemed necessary.
9. Maintains accurate, complete, and correct records as required by law, district policy, and administrative regulations.
10. Diagnoses the learning challenges of students on a regular basis, seeking the assistance of district specialists as required.
11. Takes all necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, equipment, materials, and facilities.
12. Follows the SPS a code of conduct for the classroom which is consistent with established administrative policies and develops rules of classroom behavior which are enforced in a fair and just manner.
14. Plans and supervises assignments for paraprofessionals, and makes written evaluations as required.
15. Maintains an ongoing program of professional growth that satisfies district requirements but also satisfies personal expectations as a professional.
16. Takes an active part in the contractually -approved teacher evaluation process, contributing to a mutual agreement concerning the results of that evaluation.
17. Attends building and district meetings to promote communication and mutual decision making among the staff; said meetings to be held during the extended day.
18. Attend established traditional school sponsored activities (e.g., Back to School Night, Open House, programs, activities) agreed upon by the building administrator and the faculty consistent with the teachers' contract.
20. Contribute to the decisions made by the district and building regarding budget, facilities, curriculum, and personal well-being.
21. Strives to maintain and improve professional competence. QUALIFICATIONS:
1. Highly qualified with required competency in the content area; and
2. Appropriate content/ program area educator license (Teacher of Students with Moderate Disabilities) and grade level (5-12) licensure from the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education; and
3. Bachelor's Degree with appropriate license; or
4. Master's Degree with appropriate content area license preferred and/or expected within 5 years. Nondiscrimination Statement
The Springfield Public Schools does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, genetic information, ancestry, age, disability or military service or marital status. The Springfield Public Schools does not discriminate in admission to, access or treatment in its programs and activities on the basis of race, color, sex, gender identity, religion, national origin, or sexual orientation, disability or homelessness. Title IX Notice of Nondiscrimination
Springfield Public Schools does not discriminate on the basis of sex in admission, administration of its educational programs or activities or employment. Springfield Public Schools is required by Title IX and its implementing regulations at 34 C.F.R. Part 106 not to discrimination on the basis of sex in admission, administration of its educational programs or activities or employment. The Senior Administrator of Human Resources, Kathleen O'Sullivan, Springfield Public Schools, 1550 Main St. Springfield MA, 01103, 413-787-7100, ext. 55428, has been designated as the employee responsible for coordinating Springfield Public Schools efforts to comply with and carry out its responsibilities under Title IX. Inquiries concerning the application of Title IX and its implementing regulations at 34 C.F.R. Part 106 to Springfield Public Schools may be referred to Kathleen O'Sullivan or to U.S. Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights, 400 Maryland Ave., SW Washington, DC 20202-1100, telephone 800-421-3481.
Job Category: Special Education > General Special Education Welcome to Springfield Public Schools!
Thank you for your interest in the Springfield Public Schools. The Springfield Public School district is committed to hiring a diverse pool of qualified educators, administrators, and non-instructional support staff. The Springfield Public Schools is a large and diverse urban district with over 4,800 employees. We serve over 25,000 students in 52 schools. The district has a highly committed staff, a strong school committee, and very supportive community partnerships. The Springfield Promise: A Culture of Equity and Proficiency will ensure the delivery of an educational experience in which all learners achieve success. Springfield is proud to offer some of the most progressive educational programming in the nation, including specialized magnet schools at the elementary, middle and high school levels. Springfield offers the International Baccalaureate program, Montessori, STEM, Expeditionary Learning Schools, and non-traditional educational programs. Be part of The Springfield Promise--If you are committed to fostering excellence in all students, effective in enabling your students to achieve high levels of academic success, like to work collaboratively as part of a team, have strong content and pedagogical knowledge, and embrace and value diversity-- The Springfield Public Schools is the place for you. VISION : The Springfield Promise: A Culture of Equity and Proficiency MISSION To provide the highest quality of education so that all of our students are empowered to realize their full?potential and lead fulfilling lives as lifelong learners, responsible citizens and leaders in the 21st Century. STRATEGIC PRIORITIES To accomplish this work, it will take the support and assistance of everyone: students, parents, teachers, support staff, administrators and the community. Through an aligned management system, each of the following strategic priorities will serve to help ensure system?wide accountability: • High Academic Achievement For 21st Century Success • Safe Learning and Working Environment • Highly Qualified and Effective Staff • Effective Parent and Community Partnerships • Appropriate Use of Resources and Equitable Funding • Accountable Leadership • Effective Communications CORE VALUES • Our Students Will Always Come First • Teamwork, Trust and Mutual Respect are Expected • Everyone will Share in the Accountability • Our Core Business is Teaching and Learning • Parents and Community are our Partners THEORY OF ACTION If WE are clear in our expectations, focus on the instructional core, provide appropriate support, monitor performance with shared accountability? Then... WE will dramatically improve student achievement and close the achievement gap. The Springfield Promise: A Culture of Equity and Proficiency. Raise the Bar and Close the Gap Learn more about us...Equal Opportunity Employer
The Springfield Public Schools is committed to maintaining a work and learning environment free from discrimination on the basis of race, color, religious creed, national origin, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, genetic information, ancestry, age, handicap, or military service, as defined and required by state and federal laws. Additionally, we prohibit retaliation against individuals who oppose such discrimination and harassment or who participate in an equal opportunity investigation. Application Questions
There are no application questions required for this job posting.Contact Information
- Human Resources
- Springfield Public Schools
- Springfield, Massachusetts 01103