Full-Time and Permanent; Non-Exempt; 7 Hours/Day; 186 Days/Year; 10 Months/Year; Grade QQGeneral Responsibilities
The Educational Interpreter primary role is to facilitate communication for deaf and hard of hearing students whose primary mode of communication is American Sign Language. Educational Interpreters are responsible for providing equal access for the student(s) at all times, across all learning environments, throughout the student's school day. This is an itinerant position that may require travel based on student needs.Education and Experience
Requires a high school diploma and one (1) year of related experience; to include relevant course work or training to achieve in English and two (2) other languages American Sign Language and Signing Exact English (ASL and SEE). Associate's Degree preferred. Requires national certification by Registry of Interpreter for the Deaf (RID) or sign language skills. Requires National Certification by Registry of Interpreter for the Deaf (RID) or sign language skills at level 3 of the Quality Assurance Screening (QAS) awarded by the Virginia Department for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing (VDDHH); or an equivalent combination of education and experience.Essential Job Functions
- The Educational Interpreter works under the direct supervision of a Program Administrator from Learning Support - Special Education.
- Responsible for giving voice to students' needs when necessary.
- Interprets instructional information in all subject areas from spoken English into American Sign Language.
- Interprets classroom and school building procedures into American Sign Language.
- Interprets for students in communication with other students and with school personnel.
- Interprets directions for tests-classroom and standardized.
- Instructs deaf/hard of hearing students, teachers, and other staff members on how to correctly use an interpreter.
- Discourages inappropriate dependencies with the interpreter/deaf student relationship.
- Observes and reports learning behaviors and communication needs of students.
- Has transportation to travel from site to site as needed
- Performs related work as required.
Job Category: Student Services > Translator Contact Information
- Amanda Schilling
- 800 E. City Hall Ave
- Norfolk, Virginia 23510