Full-Time and Permanent; Non-Exempt; 8 Hours/Day; 252 Days/Year; 12 Months/Year; Grade: EEGeneral Responsibilities
Under limited supervision, this position is responsible for performing custodial and manual work in the care and cleaning of Norfolk Public Schools. Serves as a lead worker. Reports to the Custodial Building Supervisor.Education and Experience
Requires a high school diploma and one 3-5 years of related custodial experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.Essential Job Functions
- Plans, assigns, supervises, and participates in the full range of routine cleaning and maintenance of the building and grounds.
- Instructs subordinates and sets expected levels of performance in cleaning and grounds maintenance.
- Instructs on the proper use of equipment, materials and supplies.
- Responsible for ensuring that prescribed standards are maintained with respect to plant, equipment, property, and grounds.
- Performs and/or oversees that preventive maintenance, adjustments, and minor repairs are performed on HVAC units, refrigeration units and related equipment as required or assigned.
- Supervises and participates in snow removal.
- Ensures that proper safety and security precautions are observed.
- Arranges and rearranges rooms for community activities.
- Assists school and community groups in utilizing areas in the building.
- Transports and empties large trash containers into outdoor units.
- Moves and transports furniture, equipment, boxed textbooks, and other supplies, weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Loads and unloads trucks; to include driving a truck as required.
- May be required to operate a forklift and drive other light automotive equipment as required.
- Locks and unlocks doors, checks the security of buildings and grounds, activates the alarm system; lowers flags.
- Work is performed under the direct and general supervision of the Area Supervisor.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Job Category: Support Staff > Custodian Contact Information
- Amanda Schilling
- 800 E. City Hall Ave
- Norfolk, Virginia 23510