Position Type: Certified
Location: Elementary School
Salary Schedule: Certified
Reports to: Elementary Principal
Term of Employment: 9 months
Approved by: Sacaton Governing Board
Applicants must score a minimum of 80% on the structured interview process to be considered for employment POSITION SUMMARY
To work in a partnership with students, staff, parents and the community in accordance with the district's vision and mission to promote student achievement for children who have disabilities. The person in this role will create a classroom environment that meets the individual needs, interests, and abilities of Special Education Students - socially, emotionally, physically, and cognitively. This person will also help students learn subject matter and skills that will contribute to their development as mature, able, and responsible men and women.
To perform this job successfully , an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. JOB GOAL:
To support the mission of the district goals, procedures, and policies in the best interest of the student by professionally carrying out assigned duties and participating in the improvement and refinement of related areas. To coordinate program resources to promote the educational development of each student. CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED:
- Must have a valid Arizona Special Education Certification.
- Must have the authorization to work in the United States as defined by the Immigration Reform Act of 1986.
- Must meet all Arizona Department of Education certification requirements.
- Bachelor's Degree or higher.
- Must have and maintain a valid Arizona Identity Verified Prints (IVP) Fingerprint Clearance Card (AZ IVP FPCC).
- Adheres to the District vision, mission, core values and goals in collaboration with staff.
- Demonstrates the ability and desire to provide outstanding service to students and families.
- Demonstrates a high regard for confidential and sensitive information.
- Special Education teaching experience preferred.
- Must meet all ESSA (Highly Qualified) qualifications.
- Knowledge of the Individuals with Disabilities Act (IDEA) and procedures of classroom maintenance.
- Supervises and evaluates assigned personnel (paraprofessionals).
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities by the organization's policies and applicable laws and reports directly to the principal as to personnel you directly supervise.
- Provides case management services for students with a disability including all requirements related to IEP development, provision, and compliance with state and federal regulations.
- Assists with the completion of the evaluation process to determine eligibility to ensure that all required components are addressed.
- Provides instruction consistent with the students' Individualized Education Plan (IEP) service page, utilizing strategies, methods, and materials appropriate to the learner's abilities, needs, and learning style.
- Maintains all aspects and provisions of confidentiality related to (Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act) FERPA.
- Administers appropriate assessments to a student to evaluate skill level, progress, and achievement, when necessary or at the direction of the psychologist.
- Administers the AzMERIT and/or the Alternate Assessment to students.
- Ensures that all required roles per the IDEA and Arizona Revised Statue/Admin. The code is filled at every IEP meeting.
- Develops materials and behavioral management strategies that will enable more effective learning.
- Develops and revises IEPs for students, as necessary.
- Develops and revises Behavior Intervention Plans, as necessary.
- Creates a classroom environment that is conducive to learning appropriate to the maturity and skill level of the students.
- Plans and prepares lessons to provide the students with the opportunity to meet and/or exceed standards as outlined by state standards.
- Sets and maintains standards of classroom behavior, utilizing a variety of behavior management strategies.
- Uses a variety of differentiated instructional techniques consistent with the needs and capabilities of the students.
- Guides the learning process, through the use of clearly established goals and objectives to meet student and district goals and objectives.
- Maintains accurate and complete records as required by federal, state and district regulations/requirements.
- Coordinates and schedules timely IEP Meetings with appropriate related service providers.
- Works with the regular education staff to implement appropriate accommodations and modifications in the regular classroom to allow for student success.
- When assigned an instructional assistant, plans and supervises the assignments and activities of that person(s).
- Recommends adapted equipment or alternatives, as appropriate, to promote student success in all environments.
- Consults with parents, staff, and outside agencies, as appropriate.
- Identifies and requests materials, supplies, and equipment to enable implementation of IEP goals and objectives, within specified timelines.
- Attends required department and district in-services, and campus meetings.
- Modifies the general education curriculum, if appropriate, in conjunction with the general education staff.
- Effectively implements the Arizona College and Career Readiness Standards and District curriculum.
- Selects appropriate instructional goals based on student needs.
- Willing to work with students with different disabilities and instructional needs.
- Demonstrates flexibility and responsiveness.
- Uses a variety of engagement strategies to ensure meaningful learning.
- Uses a variety of motivational techniques.
- Communicates clearly, both verbally and in writing, with all audiences.
- Demonstrates professionalism at all times.
- Follows all administrative procedures and policies of the school and district.
- Works cooperatively with all staff members.
- Attends appropriate county, Tribal, State and area meetings and/or conferences.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
OTHER SKILLS/ABILITIES/KNOWLEDGE/WORK STYLE:
- Assists other personnel as may be required for the purpose of supporting them in the completion of their work activities.
- Completes other job-related duties as assigned by the supervisor or Director of Exceptional Student Services.
- Provides substitute coverage as assigned by the supervisor on an as-needed basis.
- Demonstrates the ability to work effectively and efficiently under time constraints.
- Demonstrates the ability and desire to provide outstanding customer service.
- Demonstrates the ability to effectively use technology in the planning, development, and implementation of student IEPs.
- Demonstrates the ability to effectively facilitate parent conferences and IEP meetings.
- Demonstrates the ability to use data to drive instruction, IEP goal development, and progress monitoring.
- Must be detailed-oriented, organized, and self-motivated.
- Must have an excellent memory and ability to function well under stress.
- Must be able to work independently with minimal supervision and/or
- Must demonstrate flexibility, common sense, and good judgment.
- Must have the ability to keep abreast of information pertinent to the job.
- Develops and demonstrates the progress of district/department goals.
- Must have the ability to give direction for individuals and groups within the school.
- Evaluates personnel by district and state policies/timelines.
This job description is intended to be representative of the work performed by employees in this position and is not all-inclusive. The omission of a specific duty or responsibility will not preclude it from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical extension of position responsibilities as defined by the supervisor.
Job Category: Special Education > General Special Education Contact Information
- JoAnn Bojorquez, Executive Administrative Assistant
- PO Box 98
- Sacaton, Arizona 85147