** This position will remain open until filled **
Reports to: Head Custodian, Facilities Director and/or Building Principal
School: Saddle Peak Elementary
Status: Overtime eligible
MPEA Bargaining Unit
Shift: 3:00 p.m. to 11:30 p.m.
Monday through Friday.
Shifts may change during school breaks and summer work schedules.
Start Date: Approximately June 8, 2020
Administration reserves the right to change schedules as needed for the effectiveness and efficiency of the school/department. Purpose
Under the direct supervision of the Custodial and Maintenance Supervisor and indirect supervision of the Building Principal, performs general cleaning and maintenance in school buildings and grounds; maintains equipment in functional condition; and provides cleaning and custodial assistance to students, teachers, visitors and others as necessary. Essential Job Duties
Knowledge Skills Abilities
- Checks and secures building at beginning and end of shift for the purpose of ensuring the safety and cleanliness of the building.
- Assigned specific duties within the classroom and building.
- Cleans rooms, corridors, hallways, cafeterias, restrooms, whiteboards, offices, stairways, and other areas of building according to school district standards.
- Sweeps, mops, buffs, strips, and waxes floors.
- Cleans and disinfects drinking fountains, locker rooms and restroom floors and sanitary fixtures on a daily basis.
- Cleans rugs, carpets, upholstered furniture, and blinds.
- Washes walls and ceilings, woodwork, windows, doors, and sills.
- Removes graffiti and cleans glass areas.
- Replaces light bulbs.
- Sets up and breaks down chairs, tables and equipment in meeting rooms, and functional rooms.
- Clears snow from entrances and walks, driveways, parking areas and spreads sand and ice melting chemicals as directed.
- Receives deliveries and assists in unloading trucks and storing supplies.
- Delivers supplies and materials to classrooms, bathrooms and other areas of the building.
- Empties wastebaskets; picks up and removes trash and assists in recycling program.
- Performs general cleaning, and repair work, particularly during school vacations.
- Assists parents and other visitors to school buildings with special events and programs.
- Performs routine nontechnical maintenance duties with the use of household tools.
- Operates and follows routine use guidelines for mechanical equipment (ex: floor scrubbers)
- May perform grounds-keeping duties, clears debris and maintains grounds as directed/needed.
- Knowledge of safety practices and procedures.
- Ability to follow oral or written work orders from supervisor, and to coordinate work with principal and others.
- Ability to read, write and speak English fluently.
- Ability to describe orally or in writing cleaning, maintenance or repair problems as needed
- Ability to be flexible to work with others in a wide variety of circumstances.
- Ability to work with a diversity of individuals and/or groups and utilize specific, job-related equipment.
- Ability to problem solve to analyze issue.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with students, the public, and staff members.
- Ability to maintain cooperative working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Ability to manage time and responsibilities, adapt to changing work priorities, communicate with diverse groups, maintaining confidentiality, meet deadlines and schedules.
- Ability to set priorities, work as part of a team and work with and manage frequent interruptions.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of student matters.
- Ability to effectively communicate with students, parents, and staff.
- Ability to perform duties with awareness of all District requirements and Board policies.
- Ability to work outdoors in inclement weather conditions to perform the essential functions of the position.
- Ability to work above ground from ladders and automatic lifts.
- Skill in adhering to safety practices.
- Skill in preparing and maintaining accurate records and using pertinent software applications.
- May be assigned general maintenance duties as needed and based on skill and ability level.
Necessary special requirements:
- Any combination of training, education and experience equivalent to graduation from high school.
- Successful experience in building and cleaning maintenance is desirable, but not mandatory.
- Montana Driver's license or the ability to obtain license within three months of hire date.
- Uses hand tools of trade and related power equipment, including brooms, mops, floor cleaning and waxing machines, vacuum cleaners, snow blowers, shovels, power mower and hand tools.
Physical and Mental Demands and Work Hazards
- Follows all applicable safety rules, procedures and regulations governing the proper use of tools and power equipment used in the performance of duties.
- Wears appropriate safety gear, including masks.
- Must comply with school district's chemical hygiene program and follow MSDS sheets.
- Performs routine work in a classroom and school environment.
- Regularly works inside with minimal temperature variations.
- Works in standard office and school building environments.
- Exposure to cleaning chemicals, solvents and contaminated trash, grasses, pollens, etc.
- Occasional travel/mobility between schools, or between schools and the Administration office, may be required.
- Ability to meet deadlines with severe time constraints.
- The environment can be stressful due to the nature of the work.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate.
- Regularly required to stand and walk.
- Occasional lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling; some climbing and balancing; significant stooping, kneeling, crouching, and/or crawling; and significant fine finger dexterity.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Required to be able to hear conversations in loud and quiet environments.
- May be required to lift or carry up to 30 pounds on a frequent basis with or without an accommodation.
- Guidance and reinforcement are usually available.
- The employee frequently works within time constraints and must maintain attentiveness intensity.
- Frequently involved in interactions which require oral and written communications.
- Exercises flexibility and the ability to shift from one task to another.
- Occasionally works near moving mechanical parts.
- Effective hearing and speech abilities.
- Work area is generally a hazard free environment.
- Demonstrates regular attendance performing duties as described.
- Reports to work fit for duty with characteristics inherent to the position.
The duties, physical demands, work-environment characteristics, and mental/motor demands described within this vacancy announcement are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job with compliance with the American with Disabilities Act Amendment Act (ADAAA) and is not an exhaustive list of the duties performed for this position. Additional duties are performed by the individuals currently holding this position and additional duties may be assigned.
Job Category: Support Staff > Custodian Contact Information
- Diane Letendre
- PO BOX 166
- Belgrade, Montana 59714