Cambridge Public Schools is seeking a skilled and experienced part-time, technical theater professional to support the running of the new elementary and upper school theaters in the school system. The Theater Technology Specialist (TTS) will be responsible for attending to the needs and uses of the CPS recently renovated and newly built theaters. This work includes overseeing all technical aspects of the theater while in use by CPSD, the City of Cambridge and outside renters. The TTS is to ensure proper use and care of CPS equipment and the facility by preparing the space for the arrival of the user, oversee and train users in the operation of theatrical lighting and sound, advise staging, and possible stagecraft development. The TTS will be responsible for maintaining the care and suggest repair of facility and equipment in the space.
The TTS should be very familiar with the Eos family of lighting control, the Soundcraft Digital series of sound control, basic microphone and speaker placement and use, as well as good working knowledge of computers (pc/mac) and projectors. The TTS acts as a representative of the CPS and should have excellent communication skills as well as the ability to work with young people.
The TTS should also be able to work after-school hours in coordination with the theater Upper School Teachers. The following skills are preferred:
- Design collaboration
- Set building ability
- Lighting design and programming guidance
- Sound and speaker cabling/microphone setup
- Oversee stage crew work/paint days while rehearsals are going on
The new theaters are located in the following buildings:
- Putnam Avenue Upper School/MLK Elementary School
- Cambridge Street Upper School/King Open Elementary School
- Technical Direction experience in music, theater and dance performance or years of related technical work experience in each of the fields
- Considerable knowledge in theatrical systems/equipment; lighting, sound, projection, rigging as well as theater safety protocol and practices
- Customer Service experience with excellent organizational, communication, interpersonal and planning skills
- Must be able to work/oversee frequent events during evenings and on weekends
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds
Salary Range is $24,570-$29,816 annually. This is a benefits eligible position.
- Added stipends for work as a technical director for the upper school theater shows:
- Stipend amount is based on the work for each show
- Rental Over-hire work (for rental use of the theater):
- $50 per hour, Monday-Saturday, 3 hour minimum
- $65 per hour, Sunday-Holiday; 3-hour minimum
Terms of Employment:
This is a 20 hour per week (0.5 FTE), 10 month position.
At the Cambridge Public Schools, we are committed to cultivating an environment where diverse perspectives and backgrounds are embraced, acknowledging that a team reflecting diversity of race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, age, gender, marital/domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status, and veteran status allows us to serve our communities better. To that end, we welcome and encourage applicants to bring their authentic selves when considering employment opportunities within our school district.
Job Categories: Athletics & Activities > Theater Production
Career Education > Theater
Classroom Teacher > Arts: Drama Equal Opportunity Employer
Cambridge Public Schools is committed to maintaining a work and learning environment free from discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, pregnancy, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital/civil union status, ancestry, place of birth, age, citizenship status, veteran status, political affiliation, genetic information or disability, as defined and required by state and federal laws. Additionally, we prohibit retaliation against individuals who oppose such discrimination and harassment or who participate in an equal opportunity investigation. Contact Information
- Cambridge Public Schools
- 159 Thorndike Street
- Cambridge, Massachusetts 02141