TITLE: Teaching Assistant, NYS Certified
TERM OF EMPLOYMENT: 10 Month
REPORTS TO: Building Principal
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS: This is non-professional instructional work involving the responsibility for assisting a teacher in the education of students in a classroom or a laboratory setting. Teaching assistants may contribute either general or specialized skills. Employees in this class work under the general supervision of a certified teacher.
TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES: Under the general supervision of a licensed or certified teacher, a teaching assistant may be assigned by the Board of Education to assist teachers by performing such duties as:
- Working with individual pupils or groups of pupils on special projects while the teacher is engaged in working with other pupils;
- Providing the teacher with general information about pupils to aid the teacher in the development of appropriate learning experience;
- Providing assistance in the development of instructional materials and aiding pupils to use available resources;
- Utilizing their own special skills and abilities in such areas as foreign languages, arts, crafts, music, and similar subjects;
- Supporting the teacher in providing an effective climate for learning.
PREFERRED EXPERIENCE: Awareness of classroom instructional techniques; awareness of the development and use of instructional materials; good knowledge of specific field where specialization is involved; working knowledge of current instructional resources; ability to maintain discipline in a classroom situation; ability to read and interpret complex written material; ability to instruct children in a classroom setting; ability to speak clearly with good diction; ability to write legibly; dependability; good judgment; patience; neat appearance; good physical condition.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Graduation from high school or possession of a high school equivalency diploma or admission to a regionally accredited or New York State registered college.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS FOR ACCEPTANCE OF APPLICATIONS: Eligibility for certification as a teaching assistant as evidenced by possession of a temporary license or continuing certificate. Possession of a license or continuing certificate at the time of appointment.
Job Category: Instructional Support > Paraprofessional / IA Contact Information
- Jennifer DeFrank, Director of HR
- 6 WIERK AVE
- Liberty, New York 12754